Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know what drag slicks came with the MPC 1969 GTO hardtop?

Hi, 

I have an original MPC 1969 GTO hardtop that was my dad's. He built the kit stock, and I have the box, and all the custom and drag parts except for the drag slicks. Just wondering what they look like, I have checked around on the net, and can't seem to find pics of them. My idea is to use the drag parts from my dad's original kit and use the  body from the more recent funny car and build a box art version using these parts. I have a 1970 GTO chassis, a motor with supercharger, the custom hood,  the interior parts, front axle set up and repro decals, just don't know what the slicks look like. The pic is what I am shooting for. I know it is absurd, but I always thought it was cool when I was a kid, so I am going to try and build it. Any help with the slicks is appreciated! 

1969PontiacGTOHardtop-vi.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jack L said:

The 2 piece M&H AMT slicks are close

Did the styrene MPC slicks have blank (i.e., no manufacturer name) sidewalls? I want to say the black styrene slicks included with the MPC '33 Chevy Panel were blank.

I wouldn't worry about trying to find original MPCs. IIRC their stock car slicks of that day weren't especially good. Use whatever slicks you have that you think would look good on the thing. 

When I'm "restoring" an old model car, tires is the one area where I'll allow myself to deviate from kit-stock in some cases. The fact is that many/most of the kit tires of the '60s/'70s weren't really all that good. 

22 minutes ago, Jack L said:
15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Did the styrene MPC slicks have blank (i.e., no manufacturer name) sidewalls? I want to say the black styrene slicks included with the MPC '33 Chevy Panel were blank.

37 minutes ago, Casey said:

MPC1969PontiacGTOConv3-vi.jpg

Thanks guys for the quick responses! I didn't know they were 2 piece plastic.  I appreciate the help!

Edited by larman

8 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I wouldn't worry about trying to find original MPCs. IIRC their stock car slicks of that day weren't especially good. Use whatever slicks you have that you think would look good on the thing. 

When I'm "restoring" an old model car, tires is the one area where I'll allow myself to deviate from kit-stock in some cases. The fact is that many/most of the kit tires of the '60s/'70s weren't really all that good. 

That's true, and now seeing they were most likely pretty crappy, I will take your advice. Maybe I will use some of the new AMT slicks from the parts packs. I am also thinking about putting nicer wheels on it too, The ones that came with the GTO are not that nice. I might use the fronts, they look like spindle mounts and fit the straight axle. But I am thinking deeper American or Astro 5 spokes on the rear. The box art car is so cartoony it won't matter. Plus there is no side view of it anyway, so you can't even see the wheels. Thanks for the advice! I might actually start this soon. I am a little worried about the decals. They are reproductions I got on ebay. I don't remember who made them, but they may have been by Goochie. I tried using a similar set for another car a while back and it did not work out so well. If I actually get off my butt and do something, I will post pics. lol!

6 minutes ago, larman said:

That's true, and now seeing they were most likely pretty crappy, I will take your advice. Maybe I will use some of the new AMT slicks from the parts packs....Thanks for the advice! 

Those have become my go-to slicks in many cases. They can instantly class up almost anything, new or old. 

And you're welcome! Sometimes we all need a little "validation," somebody else saying something you want to do is perfectly okay. B)

BTW, the kit model is NOTHING like a real 1969 funny car. Would be more like a gasser (although not really accurate for that, either). But MPC started that "funny car parts" shtick back in 1966 with the GTO and Bonneville and a few others, and was just driving on with it. B)

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Those have become my go-to slicks in many cases. They can instantly class up almost anything, new or old. 

And you're welcome! Sometimes we all need a little "validation," somebody else saying something you want to do is perfectly okay. B)

BTW, the kit model is NOTHING like a real 1969 funny car. Would be more like a gasser (although not really accurate for that, either). But MPC started that "funny car parts" shtick back in 1966 with the GTO and Bonneville and a few others, and was just driving on with it. B)

I know the box art is just silly, but like I said, I always thought it was cool when I was a kid. Nostalgia is getting the better of me. I certainly would not do this to a nice original kit, or clean restorable built up, but since I am using an easily found kit and have the decals and left over parts,  it seems right. 

4 minutes ago, larman said:

I know the box art is just silly, but like I said, I always thought it was cool when I was a kid. Nostalgia is getting the better of me. I certainly would not do this to a nice original kit, or clean restorable built up, but since I am using an easily found kit and have the decals and left over parts,  it seems right. 

I get it completely. Have done a few survivor restorations of stuff I'd have never personally built that way, but I just want to preserve them as period time capsules. 

Here is the one my dad built when it was new, sometime in 1969 or early 1970. Paint is either AMT Lacquer or Pactra. It is the magenta/pinky purple metallic that was popular at the time. It also  has the mag wheels from the kit on it, somehow I have another like new set in my stash......My dad died in 2012 and I have his models. This is one of his many built ups. I have NO intention of messing with any of his builds, they will stay the way they are as long as I am alive. There are a few that have fallen apart and I will repair them, but that is it. I kind of want to do the box art build to display with this one. 

C.thumb.jpg.bf12fc7cfd5161369af1824b9e411be2.jpgB.thumb.jpg.37bd7618773fa8cc1ba1781c8ac2aaa0.jpgA.thumb.jpg.f2a90c2a96e511b4e75a7c0bcd98a0ba.jpg

Edited by larman

1 hour ago, Deuces ll said:

Can you post a picture of how the front leaf springs and straight axle are mounted????..... Thanks a bunch!!!.... ??

IIRC, it's not leaf springs, it's a coil-over arrangement.