Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Happy Halloween!"...

Memories? Oh yeah!

Trick or Treat isn't what it used to be. When I was a kid, we would go out, collect a whole pillowcase full of candy, go home and dump it, then go back out and do it all over again! Of course, I lived in the city, where there were a lot of apartment buildings in the neighborhood. One 6-flat alone could halfway fill up your bag!

Now kids don't go out much anymore... it's all parties and organized activities. Trick or Treat isn't the same as it used to be back in the "good old days". :lol:

Memories? Oh yeah!

Trick or Treat isn't what it used to be. When I was a kid, we would go out, collect a whole pillowcase full of candy, go home and dump it, then go back out and do it all over again! Of course, I lived in the city, where there were a lot of apartment buildings in the neighborhood. One 6-flat alone could halfway fill up your bag!

Now kids don't go out much anymore... it's all parties and organized activities. Trick or Treat isn't the same as it used to be back in the "good old days". :lol:

Live in a small town of about 700 when i was a kid would do the same as you Harry. We would hit every house in Town. Went to the dentist house first Though as he gave out toothbrushes.

Live in a small town of about 700 when i was a kid would do the same as you Harry. We would hit every house in Town. Went to the dentist house first Though as he gave out toothbrushes.

Also forgot to say everything that was not tied down usually got put out in the streets and all the window downtown would get soaped up or egged.

Now kids don't go out much anymore... it's all parties and organized activities. Trick or Treat isn't the same as it used to be back in the "good old days". :)

You are exactly right. as a father of two, I just don't feel safe letting my kids take candy from strange people, but try to tell them that. I still take them out, but I go through every piece they get, and I will not let them go out with out adult supervision. There are just to many messed up people out there that I would not trust as far as I can throw them.

Bottom line it just is not safe to go trick or treating anymore. ;):( :(

I do remember going out, trick or treating and having lots of fun doing it.

Memories? Oh yeah!

Someone should tell the the countless droves of kids that I see get dropped off in my neighborhood every year about that! I can't afford to give candy out anymore. The last time we did, we ran out in 10 minutes flat!

In the early eighties, I was much younger, in shape, worked as a City Official in the town next to mine, and very socially active. My wife and I were invited to a costume party, and it was "my turn" to pick out the costumes, and "my" friends, so my idea was to dress up as a professional wrestler, sort of like Macho Man Randy Savage, my wife being Elizabeth, in shorts, tights, cape, long hair wig under a headband, and weird sunglasses. My wife dressed up in a mask and sequinned cocktail dress. I also got hold of a mannequin, which on my entrance to the party, I would blast in, body slam it on the floor, and dive on it for a three count. Then my wife would raise my hand in victory. She preceeded me and put on a tape of the theme song from 2001 A Space Odyssey, titled, "Thus Spake Zarathrustra".

I made my entrance and had one whale of a time at the party.

On the way home, still in full costume, I get pulled over for a burnt out bulb on my license plate light. When the cop saw me he asked me out of the car, I explained it was a Halloween costume, but skeptical cops don't believe anyone or anything. Then he saw the mannequin in the back seat, and I had to explain that. I got off with a warning because the cop was laughing way too hard, and on the following morning, my boss a City Manager in the neighboring town I worked in called me in and grilled me like a cheeseburger, all a joke. He had me sweating badly, fearing for my job.

A little embarassing, and all I wanted to do is win a costume contest. I didn't.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Guest promodmerc

I'll be hiding in my basement until it's over with.

The kids that come around where I live are Jr high and high school kids. Hardly any young ones. If you are 13 or older you are too old for trick or treating in my book.

Halloween trick or treating is not quite the same over here but i found an interesting funny story a couple of years back. I shall go on:

Ok, so your friends are having a halloween party, who do you go as? Frankensteins monster? Dracula? the Mummy? No, all done to death :lol: ! what better than that young upstart Slim Shady(Aka Emanem).

Right then , you have got the gear on, had MonsterMash playing most of the day and its now party time so off we go.

Better get the mood right so its hockey mask on and out with the chainsaw, start it up and rev the nuts off it as you knock on the doorWWWAAAAAA..WWWAAAAAA..WAAAAAA. And a little old lady then tells you"Sorry son, the party is next door"

Then of course the police turn up and check everything is going ok(someone has reported a nutter with a chainsaw at nearly midnight)

They then have to ask the guy that they can see the party goer going as Slim Shady or even just 'Jason' but did he really need a petrol driven chainsaw to take to a party.

If only the story were true..................But it was, reported in The Daily Mail from about 2 years back.

A friend of mine once dressed as Freddy Kruger with realistic makeup from a theater stage make up artist slasher glove, the lot. As the poor little inocent child knocked on the door this guy rushed down his hall yanked the door open and before the kids could shout out he got in first "trick or treat he said with hands behind his back. One hand held a bar of chocolate, the other, an apple. After two kids hiding behind mum screaming, he had to give up as violence was threatened by the next, an irate father(Who appered more scared than the children)

Good fun though B):lol:

John

Edited by HotRodaSaurus

Memories? Oh yeah!

My son, Alex went out last night trick-or-treating with his usual pillowcase and ,as always, got enough candy for the both of us. It should last us a few months. We're lucky to live in a neighborhood where kids can still go out; of course his big sister went with him, but still it was a safe and bountiful night for the lad.

On Halloween,15 years ago,I got married!...Both of us had been married before,so instead of a traditional wedding and reception,we got married in my parent's living room(my father was a Methodist minister) and had a Halloween party instead of a reception.....So on trick or treat night,we celebrate by getting in costume and hand out candy to the kids............Steve Zimmerman aka the'Z'man

well it was kinda interesting here

i was slammed from everything between 9 month olds-20 yr olds

and i tell you what i seen a few cowgirls and vampires that were ummm shall we put it SMOKIN HOT

told them to come back for a complete tutor of the hearse if yha know what i mean :D

all in all not bad this year not alot of money to hook the coach up but there is always a next year to scare the holy heck out of them teens :D

After taking a long break from doing up haunted houses, I decided to decorate my sister's house in N.C. this year since she had just had surgery on her foot and couldn't do it herself. Below is a link to the slide show of some of the pictures of what I did.

Hope you like it,

-Scott H.

Edited by Scott H. AKA Cpt. Bondo

It was quiet by me this year. I live a bit off the beaten path so I had less visitors than usual. The leftover candy doesn't go to waste.

I used to take my kids up and down the block with a toy wagon as a support vehicle. The wagon came in handy to transport burnt out Power Rangers back to the base. I got 10% of the take as their "agent". It was always good to get out and tour the neighborhood and meet people. The bigger kids kept to themselves, egging or spritzing shaving cream over each other.

I'd say that aside from a smashed pumpkin now and then there was no damage done anywhere for the past few years. When I was a kid, you'd see houses and trees wrapped with toilet paper, houses splashed with paint, street lights shot out and cars vandalized. Tires slashed, windows smashed. It was pretty bad on some streets.

My "best" as a kid memory was when I was about 11, my brother was 8 and he was dressed up as a little old lady. He put his glasses in the pocket of his dress and lost them somewhere. In 1966, it was a BIG DEAL if you lost your glasses. It was one of those times that I was glad to be me and not someone else.

Bob