Model Cars Magazine Forum

25 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Aerodyne

This is why I bought the 20ft container trailer. Remember me saying "less is more"? I love the fact that the tractor in this shot is longer than the trailer!

In Liverpool there used to be thousands of these little trailers picking up containers from the docks, but they've all gone, replaced with extendable tri-axles. I used to work on these little 20 footers, they were great going forwards because there was no cut in but backing up with them was a nightmare because they'd be round on you in no time and you would be looking at it through your side window, not your mirrors!

The thing is, you can always change trailers!

Scary part! Painting can ruin loads of hard work. Primed the wheels and finished in Hycote Aluminium. Don't know whether it's supposed to be dull but it siuts the application here. 

I was going to do the chassis in another system of rattle can. Shot the primer and something was wrong with the tin so it seemed to load very heavily. Swapped to Hycote primer and used their Gloss Black but the combination of the poor primer and the black blooming resulted in a mediocre gloss. I'm not too bothered because I used to work in a truck paint shop and the chassis wasn't really ever a pristine finish, you just wanted it one colour! 

Primed the cab and will topcoat that once it's had a chance to cure and then rubbed lightly with some 1200 grit wet and dry. The new rear wall to the cab doesn't look too bad. A quick run of stopper, rub down and reprime should be enough.

As I've said before, I know my stuff is tame in comparison to other stuff on this site but it keeps me going. Thanks for looking. 

IMG_20200822_230245899.jpg

IMG_20200829_094057907.jpg

IMG_20200829_094114431.jpg

Edited by Rockford

Hi Stephen, the cab looks like it primed ok, I have tried Hycote paints but have settled on Halfords primers now, the grey is great for the majority of truck chassis, I always start with a really light cote just to be sure and then build from there, and now I usually finish off with a cote of Humbrol  satin varnish just to fix every thing in place, never had any problems ( so far) I even finished the latest truck chassis with Halfords aerosol gloss finish (a first for me) but I toned it down afterwards with a cote of Humbrol satin.

Really enjoying your project, I like the look of the 20 foot trailer, I remember them well, your right about reversing them, but they really honed your reversing skills, they were fun especially if you were reversing on rough ground and the weight transferred on to the inner axle, I used to deliver and pick up the boxes at one of container bases around Liverpool as well as the container terminal with a Volvo F7 and then later an F10, back to the subject, its looking good! 

Crusader

I usually use Halfords' rattle cans and I've found them to be so easy to use with an almost guaranteed finish. I've had some fantastic results with them and never had a reaction. I often use Tamiya fine surface primer with Halfords topcoat. It was their plastic primer that let me down this time - a disappointing first for me.

Because of the lockdown I ended up in a shop that stocks Hycote so I tried their stuff. I think Halfords was shut at the time. 

F7s and F10s, used to work on them! You might have passed me on your way in from the M57!

Finally it's up to some paint !! ??You did a great job?? and
 I can't wait to see the finished engine !!
Meanwhile ... the other day I went and bought a 
couple of colors in the shop and the shopkeeper who has known 
me for a long time gave me these ... ❤❤❤

20200827_134404.jpg

20200827_134409.jpg

2 hours ago, Rockford said:

Because of the lockdown I ended up in a shop that stocks Hycote so I tried their stuff. I think Halfords was shut at the time. 

Hycote actually makes the paint for Halfords, the only difference is the size, Hycote branded paint comes in slightly larger cans and is usually much cheaper. 

GeeBee - thanks for the information, I'll feel more comfortable using the Hycote now, and yes, it was £2 cheaper per can. 

Aerodyne - That shopkeeper likes you a lot! The fire truck is everywhere but that's an early Monogram version so it will be well moulded, the newer versions are a little tired. And the Mack tractor and tanker is a great kit that is going for incredible prices on the web. I've seen the trailer alone going for $120! However, it's not how much they're worth in my view, kits are to be built. 

Scary moment! Painted the cab. Was dreading it going pear shaped like the chassis but it turned out fantastic straight out of the can. Just got to wait for it to fully harden up now.

While I wait for that to happen I did  little work on the chassis. I added air lines and draped them over the pogo stick. Can't find anything to replicate glad hand couplings so for now I've just painted the ends of the hoses silver. I'll keep on the lookout. 

I also wound some single core, red insulated wire around a drill to form an electrical cable which I left lying across the tread plate. 

IMG_20200830_184011310.jpg

IMG_20200829_162348588.jpg

IMG_20200829_162342722.jpg

IMG_20200829_162353141.jpg

Hi Stephen, the white top coat looks perfect, that's interesting information about the two primers from Geoff and would account for them being exactly the same shade of grey, maybe it was a small problem with the inside of the nozzle, I also have a can of the Hycote primer and may have to use it next as I don't know when I will be able to get back to Britain for more paint, (quarantine) at least now I won't be too worried about using it, worst than that though is that I have run out of liquid glue and it can not be posted over sea's, really stuck now (or not in this case).

The F7 was my first permanent truck after getting my HGV class 1, a great little truck with a good cab and loads of room inside, loved it like it was my own, it would have been the mid 80s when I was doing the containers, like you say we probably passed on the M57 or M62 I was based in Leeds. 

F7, the forgotten Volvo, F10 got all the attention! We had F7 six wheelers tanks in Tate & Lyle and they were very civilised. Those days there so many good trucks, DAF, Volvo, Mercs, Scania, ERF, Seddon Atkinson, even Leyland T45 Roadtrains weren't that bad. Now everything is a Scania.

I see that your kenworth continues to do very well, I really like the detail of the air cables on the back??, don't worry the two kits I'm going to build them ... for the fire truck I still don't have a clear idea , tanker I would like to make it the convoy truck ... when I start it I open a WIP !! ?? follow me !! ??

Did a little work over the weekend. Turned my attention to the usual very basic interior. The Kenworth classic flat dash is there but precious little else. I decided to cover the whole dash in bare metal foil, painted it with Humbrol flat brown to mimic the plastic wood veneer, then picked out the dials and vents with a black marker. After that I rubbed a flat pencil eraser across it to bring the chrome out on the high spots of the dash like the dial surrounds and the switches etc... looks ok. 

IMG_20200907_081519972.jpg

Now that the topcoat has cured it's time to start on the cab. 

I painted the lower half of the skirts in semi gloss black. Foiled the steps, turn signals, wipers and doorhandles. This is the first time I've foiled the emblems before painting, then rubbed them back afterwards. They've turned out ok. 

Used a black marker to colour the window rubbers etc... Then the millionth mockup. Nearly there.

Just realized, I haven't made a window for the hole I cut in the rear wall. I could just put a piece of acetate across it but I'm going to see if I can find a flat piece of kit glass to file down to size.

IMG_20200907_081859509.jpg

IMG_20200907_081815364.jpg

IMG_20200907_081722316.jpg

IMG_20200907_082232031.jpg

IMG_20200907_082247867.jpg

I've been following this build with great interest.  I'm really impressed with the amount of detail you have put into such a small truck.  Earlier there was discussion about the possibility of the red bleeding through; maybe it is my computer screen, but it seems the cab has a slight pink tone to it.

TarheelRick, you're right , it did come through, but in some lights it's not there, in others it's quite apparent.  I thought the primer had done the job but once the topcoat went on there was a tinge perceptible. It's an amazing effect, how it does it I don't know! They say put a coat of silver on it first and my paint mixing days would say use a blue to knock the red out but never mind. Most times it looks fine. 

Aerodyne, some of the interiors are better than others on these kits, the Mack is a poor one , I don't blame you for not taking too much time on it.