Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic Clear

3 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Yes. I've settles on Tamiya acrylic thinned with lacquer thinner for the most part. Glad I discovered it. If you want spray cans someone else can answer that.

Naw, going to try to stick with airbrush as much as possible

14 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Yes. I've settles on Tamiya acrylic thinned with lacquer thinner for the most part. Glad I discovered it. If you want spray cans someone else can answer that.

Ohh, interesting - I haven’t tried that combination.  Do you have any pics of anything you’ve painted with this pairing?  I’d love to see if you do!

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Ohh, interesting - I haven’t tried that combination.  Do you have any pics of anything you’ve painted with this pairing?  I’d love to see if you do!

I have pics Tamiya clear over craft paint somewhat polished. Then clear red with a touch of blue and a Mustang clear blue, both over rose gold base coat and not polished. Pretty wet looking and all the clears behave the same. Here's the gig, getting them up on here, they're on my phone which has a really decent camera though. Never put a file up here.

But I can tell you it sprays great, the wetter as you go the better. And Tamiya suggest LT if you want the shine and harder finish. Some guys like their acrylic thinner, never tried it. I hit on this and never bothered.

Well , the Lacquer clear over the acrylic paint seems to do alright. No bad reactions to it. Of course the acrylic clear over the acrylic paint did fine. The lacquer clear seems to have more shine. Didn't try sanding and buffing, which I should've done. too late now it's in the "purple pond" Rats!

paint.jpg

Tamiya's Lacquer Thinner should be used with their paints. It's alcohol based which allot safer than cheap hardware stuff that has allot of Acetone in it. It looks like you need more thinner to get rid off that awful orange peel effect.

Ok. the body spent the night in the purple pond. Acrylic clear came off all the way to the base coat, real easy. The lacquer clear coat was harder to get off but a small wire brush convinced it. Funny, the Lacquer silver base coat stayed on. Conclusion? The base coat was on a couple of days before I painted the yellow. The lacquer base coat had a couple of days to "dry", "set" or "gas out" , whatever. ALSO , the silver base coat made the iridescent seem to have a "blue" tint to it. Left the front white. Seems the yellow was a better shade of yellow in the front. Take notes, put in book for future reference

20201004_152011.jpg