Model Cars Magazine Forum

Low profile tires and big wheels, Like or dislike?

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I've posted many, many times here comments like "Not my build style at all (or, "I'm not wild about the color...") but there's no denying your outstanding craftsmanship." Sometimes a build is so well done it deserves a compliment, even if I don't particularly care for it personally. Does that offend anyone? 

I'm sure you and others have made such comments I just haven't ran across them yet. Today is the longest I've been able to spend on the forum due to health and other issues. I'm glad to hear there is constructive criticism and invite it on any builds I post. 

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just found it odd/curious/interesting that he kept coming back to the discussion. It would be kind of like me seeing a thread on two baseball or basketball teams, and posting on the first page that I have no interest in baseball or basketball, and then coming back to the thread and posting again and again.

The question Snake, was not whether or not we liked wheels.

It was asked of us what are opinions are on the types of wheels available, and I suppose one could apply the Facebook "like" philosophy and just say either yes, I like big wheels and thin tires, or no I don't, and end it with that.

Not much of a discussion if that's all that's offered, is it?

It's not a "discussion" at all.

It could  just as well have been conducted as a poll.

A closer analogy might be the exchange that would ensue if asked "who" your favorite baseball or basketball team was.

I'm pretty confident that you would get long and detailed conversations about that.

Somehow I get the feeling that James was hoping for a little more interaction on this topic than just a thumbs up or thumbs down.

And after all, what's wrong with a little friendly discussion and debate.

It only seems to start to become a problem when things start getting over analyzed.

It's just supposed to be a fun dialogue.

So to answer your question, I thought there might be a little fun back and forth on a question like this, and there was........at first. <_<

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've posted many, many times here comments like "Not my build style at all (or, "I'm not wild about the color...") but there's no denying your outstanding craftsmanship." Sometimes a build is so well done it deserves a compliment, even if I don't particularly care for it personally. Does that offend anyone? 

It doesn't bother me in the least.

But in the end, I suppose it depends a great deal on the density of ones husk. ;)

Steve

As I said at the start I like rubber bands but it depends on the vehicle. I'll list whats on my bench at the moment with the wheels and tyres I'm using.

65 c10 on big truck rims with rubber bands

20something f350 on truck rims with off road tyres (liftrd)

39 chevy on rubber bands

30 model a on big n little large diameter wheels but with 60 profile tyres to fill the fenders

mk3 golf van on 16" rims with stretched tyres

37 ford on pegasus dodge style wheel n caps

48 ford on steels with blackwalls

mk4 golf on 18 bbs with stretch tyres

bmw e21 on 14" ronals but i had no choice but to use stretch tyres on it as the arches are pretty small

a couple of tractors on big rims but i guess they get a pass lol

64 caddy but undecided on rims for it

delahete on chrysler atlantic rims with matching delaheye hauler

bug hot rod on early ford wires

vw t1 pick up on porsche wheels

To me though the stance is just as important as the wheels, and big wheels have to have brakes that fit. I have built a few cars on smaller wheels and have some lined up to be built. I wouldn't put big wheels on a flatty powered rod just as I wouldn't put white walls on a golf. I enjoy seeing stock cars but at the same time I have little interest in building one as I see them as the starting point for the builds i do, even if their just lowered on wheels.

Stichup I like your approach to how a car look. Rather than a one size fits all approach you chose what looks best for that car in your opinion. 

I agree a stock car is just a starting point. It will never be your vehicle if you haven't personalized it to your tastes. More than likely someone else will have one just like it.

1 hour ago, jamesG said:

Sounds interesting. Got a pic of this one?

here you go, the only pic of the tyres in the fenders and a later pic that shows the direction its going, the wheels are now the same size but artillary style and the front is lower

DSC06036.JPG

DSC06056.JPG

Edited by stitchdup