Model Cars Magazine Forum

How best to remove Zap-A-Gap??

ubermodel

So I'm working on an old release of AMT's 1969 442. I strip the bumpers and clean up all the mold lines, till they're nice 'n smooth and ready for replating. I give them one last once-over and notice that a big thick honkin' glob of Zap-A-Gap CA+ (the one in the green bottle) had somehow been kind enough to affix itself to a nice smooth area of the front bumper. I read somewhere that nail polish remover is good for removing crazy glue, so before I try it on my bumper I test-soak a small piece of AMT's soft grey styrene for a few minutes, which sure enough softens up the plastic. Can't have that, nuh-uh. Can anyone recommend a solution to soak this particular type of plastic in that will dissolve the glue but leave the plastic totally unaffected??

Edited by ubermodel

Hey Bob, how are things in the LIARS Club? Haven't been down there in several years.

Sanding is a last resort I didn't want to have to do. I had the bumper perfectly straight & smooth and would prefer to just dissolve the glue rather than attack it, but I may just have to bite the bullet.

well curiousity has gotten the best of me here, i have read but minimal expierience with CA Debonder working, and recommended by several that i know.

I was wondering the chance of freezing for a day or two, and then try to gently "POP" it off like ability has been in the past?? I also know that soaking in brake fluid for 24 hours or so has worked for me, as well as removing paint as i was told of a trick years ago though costly, and that is useing Vari-Prime from dupont, which expads the abilities for car / truck colors with more realism over duplicolor which i have had bad luck with, and jobbers locally dont stock as much.(primed a model, and then used its color for a close match to my real truck, which ruined at that time a dicontinued kit...... just some thoughts and wonders from my gray matter

billd64

So I'm working on an old release of AMT's 1969 442. I strip the bumpers and clean up all the mold lines, till they're nice 'n smooth and ready for replating. I give them one last once-over and notice that a big thick honkin' glob of Zap-A-Gap CA+ (the one in the green bottle) had somehow been kind enough to affix itself to a nice smooth area of the front bumper. I read somewhere that nail polish remover is good for removing crazy glue, so before I try it on my bumper I test-soak a small piece of AMT's soft grey styrene for a few minutes, which sure enough softens up the plastic. Can't have that, nuh-uh. Can anyone recommend a solution to soak this particular type of plastic in that will dissolve the glue but leave the plastic totally unaffected??

Personally, I would try Ca Debonder first. Just drip it on a paper towel, and wipe away do this several times, and it should be fine. Just be sure to test first. Soaking the part in anything will take off any fillers you may have added.

Edited by Abell82