Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Impala Heavy Chevy

I have one of the Round2 releases of this kit and I'm setting up to start on it but I noticed that it has Impala emblems on the fender and on the side of the roof. From what I can find in pictures it looks like the roof emblems were on cars with a vinyl top and fender emblems on non vinyl top cars and convertibles. Do anyone know if this is correct?

Was there a convertible promo associated with this model? That might explain the dual "Impala" scripts as the manufacturer didn't bother to remove  the fender script for the coupe. Out of curiosity I just checked my '70 Chevrolet brochure and Mark is correct. 

Edited by AMT68

AMT did have the promo contract for the Impala for 1970.  I haven't got a convertible promo; as I remember, the upper quarter panels are the same as the hardtop kit (incorrect for the convertible) but the decklid area is correct.  AMT didn't do a '70 convertible kit, but MPC did (the glow-in-the-dark "Bat Machine").  The MPC kit was just a coupe without the roof; it had the coupe quarter panels like the AMT convertible promo, but also had the coupe trunk lid with the recessed area in the center.  It also had SS emblems (there was no Impala SS in 1970).  The AMT coupe annual kit also said "SS" on the box, but had a bench seat and no SS emblems.

Just looked up a picture on ebay of a '70 Impala promo and I never noticed the incorrect upper quarters as you mentioned.  Didn't realize the annual kit was incorrectly labeled an "SS" either. Might explain why there's a floor shifter with the bench seats which I always thought was odd when I built a more recent release.