Model Cars Magazine Forum

Penske Camaro 1969 #9 door panel color

I can find some shots (color photo's)  of the interior of the #6 1969 Camaro & know they are red, but I need to see the color of the door panels & the dash top on the #9 vinyl top car.. I'm working on the # 9 car with a resin body & a Revell Z 28 Camaro kit, 

Greetings,

The cars altered for specifications across the year, while the red interior door trim eventually gave way to those finished in black.  The switch was timed roughly to coincide with the removal of the vinyl tops later in the '69 season.   The #6 and #9 would be distinguished from the pits for different color spoilers, headlamp fill panels, and of course the numerals painted on (this before vinyl numerals became standard practice), while the red interior panels (or black) would be standard across team cars at any event entered.  

The interior color for the interior side panels, etc. wouldn't be more sophisticated than standard level trim '69 Camaro vinyl trim.  Searching for '69 Camaro restorations optioned out with the red interior would turn up color references, hence you'd not be strictly reliant on period SCCA Trans-Am race reference materials to confirm such. Additionally, most reputable 1:1 restoration parts suppliers stock interior colors consistent with allowing on to refinish interior vinyl trim.  Red would be one of the more common colors, and might prove the way to go given the sheen would reflect the finish desired apart and beyond having the right hue.

Before the COVID-19 situation effectively shut down concours events nationwide, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance organizers decided to honor Roger Penske at their 2020 event.  A good gathering of restored Penske Camaro racers were on display, with one being debuted, and others rerestored with greater attention paid to accuracy, etc. The '69 Penske Camaro present there appeared better than it had before, and sported both a vinyl top and the red interior trim you'd wish to replicate.  A great many people attended and took photos, while a bit of web searching would surely turn up large collections of event images even if they'd not strictly be tagged as '1969 Penske Camaro' when you'd mount a search for such.  Good luck...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

Thanks Swede, I followed your posts on the Camaro Research group page. You do some mighty fine work. I have looked on this site for some of your work, but haven't been able to find much yet.  Sadly most of the pictures I have found of the #9 car are in black & white, so it's hard to tell the color of the door panels. I guess I'll go with black.  I'm also working on the Titus 68 firebird red & white paint scheme. I just wish I could find decals for it. For years I have been building 1/43 can am cars & have now started branching out to 1/43 ^ 1/24 trans am cars.

Greetings,

Thanks for the kind words.  I have a few build threads here, although most are well buried under the volume of posts and threads others maintain.  Consider clicking on my profile name and search for activity related to the following:  

1968-69 1:25th RKE/JRT Javelin builds based on the Jo-Han tools 

1967-69 1:18th GMP Penske Donohue Camaro work

1970 1:18th Chaparral Camaro based on the old ERTL tool

1970 1:18th Hwy. 61 Chrysler E-body Trans-Am work

Various Pontiac projects including a 1:18th Sun Star-based '71-season 'Gray Ghost', a '70 T/G Firebird Trans Am, and finally, a '69 Titus/Ward Daytona 24HR class winner like yourself  

-

For my own builds I'm usually pouring over the digital archives even as most of the images are reproduced in black and white as you've said.  Most stuff is downloaded and dropped into the appropriate project file, while after a time this image and that reveals stuff I hadn't seen before.  It's fun to glean information and transfer such into a scale representation of all that's been revealed, while every now and again someone like us will turn up insights that a current owner won't have tripped upon or known about.  

Although you likely know them well, the Dave Friedman Collection/Benson Ford Research Center, the Petersen Publishing/SAE Archive, the Revs/Stanford Digital Archive, and Getty Images are those online archives I frequent the most.  Some are a challenge to access and find suitable material within, but all are of value.  

I wouldn't give up on the red interior angle for the '69 Penske Camaro given it's a real enough thing.  The paint work would just be restricted to the side interior trim panels anyhow, while interior images reflecting the specification of things are common enough.  If I can attach a few, I'll try.  Thanks...

101834787_1969PenskeCamaro2.jpg.e942880c601bcffc73b990a1d04d352e.jpg1641142045_1969PenskeCamarodashventimageCarLife.jpg.0e6db4ee4133e6c4a07a62cc8e808227.jpg2117182453_1969PenskeCamarointeriorimage2.jpg.411cca4e073f1d8e86c34440b9c845da.jpg1027999741_1969PenskeCamarodoorventing.jpg.645a6ee4adf21077db7a25781f36f3de.jpg436212816_1969PenskeCamarocolorimageinterior.jpg.114fd2dd9b238dea3fa7dc4890ee1d46.jpg

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

...while this would be the well-known '69 Mission Bell 250 Trans-Am poster and program image.  The photo was captured at the first race of the season held at Michigan International Speedway for the inaugural Wolverine Trans-Am, while note Mark's #6 is fitted out with red interior trim panels complete with the dash pad so-colored.  

361120813_1969PenskeCamaroRiversideprogramandposterimage.jpg.4f73c6034c18bf4d99ea3f17b18a0643.jpg

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70