Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1959 Cadillac Convertible

I've been working on this kit for a while. But some of the instructions are off. If you install the exhaust manifolds the way the instructions show you to do. They are on backwards.

The wheels show. An inner wheel. Then the tires. Then the hubcaps. No glue to be used anywhere. But what holds them to the axels?

It seems the windshield glass is bigger than the windshield frame its self.

Doesn't show where the oil filler tube is suppose to go.

Any input into this kit? I have 8 or 9 other Monogram kits in my stash. But at this point I think they will be going on Ebay. I'm OCD and this is driving me crazy. Thanks.

s-l640.jpg

OK. Thank you Frank and David E.. I was just wondering how others felt about this kit. And are all the monogram kit's instructions this bad? And do I just glue the wheels to the axels even though the instructions say no glue? 

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

And are all the monogram kit's instructions this bad?

No, they are generally excellent. Judge each kit on it's own, though, as one mistake in a kit does not translate to all kits released by the same manufacturer.

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

And do I just glue the wheels to the axels even though the instructions say no glue? 

Do the wheel and tires stay in place when assembled according to the instructions? All of the wheel parts and each tire may be an interference fit together, requiring no glue at all. I'd assemble one wheel/tire assembly first, then see how they work together.

In my experience, the late '80s/early '90s 1/25 scale Monogram kits (their first in 1/25 scale, post-merger with Revell) are their finest kits, with no major issues. The wheel backs usually "snap" into place on the axle or spindle stubs, having an interference fit.

Hey Casey.  I glued the wheels on seeing they just fell off. I did assembly the wheels just like the instructions showed. 

Now I find it's missing 2 taillights. 

I bought all these kits over the years at model car shows. Opened. I'm learning that when the seller says they are complete. They usually are not. But how do you stand there and check each piece. 

Good to know about the kits because I have a few of them. 3 1955 Chevy convertibles. 1 1959 Caddy Hard top. 4 1959 Impalas. 2 hardtops and 2 convertibles. 1965 Chevy convertibles. 1956 Nomad. and the 1950 Ford Pickup. Will I ever get around to building them all? At age 66. I doubt it. LOL

And thank you for the info.

Edited by ewetwo