Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 SR5...back to the beginning

Hey all...

After a few (failed) attempts at getting back into modeling over the last 30 years, I decided to work on a model that was (almost) the first model I ever attempted building: a Toyota SR5 snap kit. The original one 41 years ago was a Revell kit but that one doesn't seem to exist anymore (not even on Ebay). So the next best thing was the AMT 1980 SR5 kit. Despite left-hand tremors and bouts of discouragement, I'm determined to finish it - and continue onto others. Stay tuned!

OK...here are a few pix on where I'm at so far.

Got the interior done with a combination of Tamiya Wood Deck Tan, craft paints and India ink. Instrument cluster is a decal I created using the tracing option in Adobe Illustrator.

Chassis is flat black primer weathered with craft paints and a wash made with India ink/windshield washer fluid/mod podge. Exhaust is Tamiya Titanium Silver with tip done in DecoColor Premium silver metallic paint marker - "poor man's Molotow" ;)

The license plate I made in Adobe Illustrator printed on a decal sheet. The "41 Years" indicates the time from first kit to this one ;)

The body is painted with Rustoleum 2X gloss black but needs to be cleared with acrylic lacquer. Probably gonna wait a few days for the paint to gas out until that goes on. Pix of that when the model is finished. Thanks!!

Edited by Raykreations