Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wheel Fetish Question

Okay, since we have all decided that we have a wheel fetish I decided to come out into the open. I am trying, desperately, to purchase some Aoshima rims and tires. Big problem is most of the usual sources have dried up. HLJ shows pretty much all the Aoshima rims DISCONTINUED!!!!!!

Model Express does not show the rims I want. I found a couple, Kranz LXZ and Cerberus at Best 1 hobby. I am looking for some more internet sources, anybody got any??? Done the google thing and what not and I have come up empty handed. Thanks guys

Sorry Ken, but you are probably out of luck. Aoshima produces its rim sets in small quantities when they are issued, which means you are almost forced to buy them when they come out.

Are there any particular styles you are looking for at this tme? My LHS has a few in stock but I'm not sure if they have what you are looking for. You also might try www.americansatco.com as they sell Aoshima rims too.

You might be able to find an Aoshima kit with the wheels you are looking for, although this could get kinda expensive. I have an Aoshima catalog that I can cross-reference wheels to a kit.

Yeah Marc, I am slowly coming to that realization. I thought I would give Top Shelf a call as they had a bunch the last time I was in. Gregg, I found MechaHawaii on the net, but there wasn't much listed. I will try and shoot them an e-mail. I guess I could always watch ebay :roll:

Fujimi would be great if they would make something larger than 17 inches. I really can't tell the size from the packaging. Most of the Fujimi wheels that I have seen are 15 or 16 inch wheels. I have started to look into peggies. Guess I will just start buying when I see them.

Fujimi would be great if they would make something larger than 17 inches. I really can't tell the size from the packaging. Most of the Fujimi wheels that I have seen are 15 or 16 inch wheels. I have started to look into peggies. Guess I will just start buying when I see them.

Fujimi makes many 18" wheels, you just have to know what to look for. HLJ's listings usually tell you what size. Or if you wonder about a specific wheel, ask on the board. Many of their older wheels are 15-16", but new ones are often 18's or 19's. And as you've found, if you want Aoshima rims you have to get them when they're released, they only do short runs and don't keep them in the catalog.

Ken,

another thing you could try would be to check out these 2 forums(if thats ok for me to post em Gregg) the first is Scale Plastic Cars

http://www.spc.org.uk/forum/index.php?sid=...d45fe965a4c0ed0

and the other is Automotive Forums

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/f927/

and then you can post something in their want section and see if you can find the rims you are looking for that way, its worked for me.

A second option is using a proxy bidding service with the Yahoo Japan auctions, I've gone that route too and i've won 2 auctions with quite a few sets of wheels for cheap...they can be sporadic though. If you'd like to give that option a try..look here at http://www.rinkya.com/index.php or www.mailorderjapan.com they can give you steps on getting thru the japanese language barrier and finding items on YHJ..plus I can offer a few tips if you'd like.

Gray

No doubt! Gotta get them when you can, and then if you do find a set on ebay, a discontinued set, be ready to bid high. I let a pair of Aoshima Wald Duchatelet's go. I have a Fujimi set, but the Aoshima set was 2 piece.

Aoshima will be releasing 4 new sets in their VIP series. I pre-ordered them about a month ago and they will probably be released sometime this month. I know they had an order stop on them for awhile but it appears that you can still pre-order them for 800 yen.

I've learned it is best to buy two of each if you can afford too.

Good Luck Ken.

Chris

I've learned it is best to buy two of each if you can afford too.

That's what I do now and some I even have 3 sets of. When I figured out that the "wide rim" wheel lips and tires fit the other two-piece rims, I bought 6 or 7 sets of the Stich Dish wide rim sets at my LHS that had been sitting on the shelves for a long time. :D

Sorry Ken, none of mine are for sale either :P :!: