Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 312PB

David Thibodeau

Ed Sexton sent me this one to build. My first MFH kit! Lots of metal, Resin, Brass wheels and photoetch......

The real deal except I am doing the #86 car.......

Ferrari312PB_2-vi.jpg

Cleaned up the metal boxster 12 cylinder with steel wool and metal polish.

P1010055-vi.jpg

Wheels and tires done minus scuffing the tread. Wheels are brass turned pieces. Firestone logos are stencils...

P1010056-vi.jpg

Chassis is also metal cleaned with steel wool and lightly polished. Then cleared with metalizer sealer.Nothing like real metal!!

P1010059-vi.jpg

Body parts are resin and metal for scoops and small accessories. All was cleaned up and shot with white plastikote primer and painted with Rosso Corsa from scalefinishes. Cleared with dupont 2k.

P1010057-vi.jpg

P1010058-vi.jpg

Very nicely done. Get some more pictures up when you get a chance. Love to see everything else.

You never know what you're going to get with MFH. I've had some of the kits that were really nice and some that were absolutely terrible. The last couple of kits I've gotten through them I've absolutely loved.

WOW! Cool! One of my all time favorite Ferraris. I've always dreamed of an "affordable" plastic kit of this car.

I consider it one of the most beautiful sounding cars in history. Quoting Alan DeCadenet in the Ferrari Victory by Design DVD:

"For 1972 the World's Championship for sports car racing consisted of 10 races around the world. This little baby won, all 10 of them. Only the factory ever ran these cars in anger. Mr Ferrari considered that they were a bit too tricky for private entries"

"What would constitute my dream sports car? well, I'd like a formula 1 type chassis, clothed in a sexy aerodynamic body, flat 12, 4 cams, 48 valves, fuel injected Formula 1 engine, driving thru a 5 speed gearbox. And 600 to 700 HP per ton.

Oh, and I want it bright red too. That is exactly what I have here. The 312 PB"

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

More done.....

Engine is in place... Again, keep in mind anything that is silver here is the white metal that has been polished or finessed in some way. Plug wires are from Pro tech and the clear tube is craft clear bead wire. The kit comes with all of this but I think the plug wires are too narrow in the kit and they shorted me the clear tubing.

P1010060-vi.jpg

P1010061-vi.jpg

Front headlights buckets were carefully painted with Acryl semi gloss black.

P1010062-vi.jpg

The gas tank covers are Photoetch plates I scuffed to match the rest of the metal underside.

P1010063-vi.jpg

WOW! Cool! One of my all time favorite Ferraris. I've always dreamed of an "affordable" plastic kit of this car.

I consider it one of the most beautiful sounding cars in history. Quoting Alan DeCadenet in the Ferrari Victory by Design DVD:

"For 1972 the World's Championship for sports car racing consisted of 10 races around the world. This little baby won, all 10 of them. Only the factory ever ran these cars in anger. Mr Ferrari considered that they were a bit too tricky for private entries"

"What would constitute my dream sports car? well, I'd like a formula 1 type chassis, clothed in a sexy aerodynamic body, flat 12, 4 cams, 48 valves, fuel injected Formula 1 engine, driving thru a 5 speed gearbox. And 600 to 700 HP per ton.

Oh, and I want it bright red too. That is exactly what I have here. The 312 PB"

Thanks,

Oh yeah! :(

This is just insane :)

Thanks guys.... more done....

Entire front suspension is done along with the seat assembly......

P1010083-vi.jpg

P1010084-vi.jpg

Entire front suspension is all in the kit except brake lines that were done using protech braid.

P1010085-vi.jpg

The kit provides decal to do the design on the seats. I painted the seat with krylon suede it to provide texture. Then covered it in cherry red krylon spray. Once decals were added I dullcoated the seat and added pro tech bolts and kit seatbelts and hardware.

P1010086-vi.jpg

DaveT

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to move forward on the 312.....

The chassis is now on rolling stock........

P1010029-vi.jpg

Lots done to get it to the point I could add the tires and wheels...as you can see the Trans and rear suspension are complete. This has to be the coolest kit I have ever worked with. Metal clean up is exasperating at times but worth it..... I added the exhaust after clean up, painted with white primer and weathered with tamiya D exhaust pastel kit.

P1010031-vi.jpg

P1010030-vi.jpg

Great shot of the undercarriage and exhaust weathering. I Know most raced PB's had bare metal exhaust but I am going for the restored look of the car and most restored examples are pristine paint and white exhaust.

P1010032-vi.jpg

With front bonnet installed. Fit is OK not perfect....

P1010033-vi.jpg

Cooler detail still in the works on both sides of engine......

P1010034-vi.jpg

The rear engine lid fit is gappy, but I imagine will spend most of the time off the car to display the beautiful engine.. a sacrifice I can live with..... B)

P1010035-vi.jpg

Notice the blue on the wing and headrest pod match the decals? I painted the parts with Tamiya brilliant blue followed by HOK kandy kobalt to darken it. The candy allowed me to control the hue of the shade of blue to get it spot on!

P1010036-vi.jpg

Its really taking shape!!

P1010037-vi.jpg

Nothing like 4 pipes!!!

P1010038-vi.jpg