Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vega Subframe

Straightliner I am inclined to think that your front sway bar area may not need to be modified if it is tucked behind the front facia first and the rear set in, looks like minimal shaping otherwise looks like the wheels are pretty much inline in the front other wise a pan chop before the seat dimples but behind the trans cross member could be just enough to do justice, at least my pieces of grumpy lump will be fitted to the Monza frame to better fit my body. I saw a proposed 73 Vega kit coming out somewhere, Lawson's I believe that would be a true 73 tube job frame I would hope, there was some guys over on the Vega pinto post talking about a 73 Vega kit at some point to that was produced way way back but I don't think it was an AMT kit

Well just the way it is, a good modded frame cast in resin would be nice to produce for people wanting to street an early prostock Vega body, kit bashing frames may be something I could pull off later, I'm still debating a glue bomb or fresh kit, a quick look on eBay hasn't landed me any glue bombs only over priced kits and a guy selling a kit box top for over $20, sad really.

Edited by ManiacModeler
Spelling

On 9/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Straightliner59 said:

The first five photos are a comparison of the two "chassis", AMT on the right.

Going by the fuel tank location the AMT chassis is Vega, the MPC chassis is Monza.

But the front suspension on the MPC chassis looks like it was drawn up after an 8-beer lunch. The front sway bar is generally correct but the rest of it looks completely imaginary.

On 9/29/2021 at 6:20 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Going by the fuel tank location the AMT chassis is Vega, the MPC chassis is Monza.

But the front suspension on the MPC chassis looks like it was drawn up after an 8-beer lunch. The front sway bar is generally correct but the rest of it looks completely imaginary.

It's not possible for this MPC chassis to be a Monza. It's from a '71 Vega annual. It's also identical to the '72 Promo I have. MPC's Monzas (both'77 kit and '75 promo) are laid out the same as AMT's,  but with the same molded-in features as their Vega--rear suspension, exhaust, and what there is of a front suspension. You are certainly correct about the Vega's front suspension. What the heck were they thinking?! I have MPC "H-Bodies" out the wazoo!

58 minutes ago, ManiacModeler said:

Straightliner: can you post a single pic of the AMT Monza frame by itself and then a single pic of the MPC Monza frame by itself. I already know the difference but it might help others understand where the pieces com from better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was figuring to, as soon as I have the time. We might as well cover this thoroughly,  while we're at it!

Okay...here are (L to R) the MPC Monza chassis, the AMT Monza chassis, and the MPC Vega chassis (1971). I'm not sure what else needs to be said, other than, if you're building a Chevy "H-Body", after the body, itself, AMT's Monza chassis is the best platform to build it on. Malcolm, you might be onto something. I may have to see if I can do that, the next time I buy some rubber. I have at least three projects I would like to use it under. The  only replica stock model I have ever felt inclined to model is a Cosworth Vega. With all the scratchbuilding required to accomplish that...

2DSC_0028cr.jpg

2DSC_0030cr.jpg

2DSC_0031cr.jpg

2DSC_0032cr.jpg

2DSC_0033cr.jpg

2DSC_0034cr.jpg

Thanks again straightliner, it's appreciated. Now more people will understand this topic. The other thing to shortening that frame would be to shorten the drive shaft just a little. Would be interested in seeing someone do a cosworth Vega that would be interesting. I'm still on the fence on how much I want to spend on an AMT piece. I can't believe the price of kits these days, I used to buy these things at Walmart, k&b, and eckards for 8-10$. Even ebay is asking alot.

10 hours ago, ManiacModeler said:

Thanks again straightliner, it's appreciated. Now more people will understand this topic. The other thing to shortening that frame would be to shorten the drive shaft just a little. Would be interested in seeing someone do a cosworth Vega that would be interesting. I'm still on the fence on how much I want to spend on an AMT piece. I can't believe the price of kits these days, I used to buy these things at Walmart, k&b, and eckards for 8-10$. Even ebay is asking alot.

Glad to be of help, when I can! The best thing about the AMT chassis, is that everything can be replaced with other parts--differential, rear suspension, etc. Agreed about the prices, too. Even built-ups aren't particularly cheap.

8 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Glad to be of help, when I can! The best thing about the AMT chassis, is that everything can be replaced with other parts--differential, rear suspension, etc. Agreed about the prices, too. Even built-ups aren't particularly cheap.

Yeah I think I'm gonna practice making resin parts when my 2+2 kit gets here, I want to make the full AMT chassis in resin and only part of my MPC plate in resin then combine them to fit the 72 Vega body, will do the frame chop on a resin mock up as well as a resin drive shaft mock chop. I don't want to give to much away on the build up want to put it on the WIP board.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:49 PM, ManiacModeler said:

Yeah I think I'm gonna practice making resin parts when my 2+2 kit gets here, I want to make the full AMT chassis in resin and only part of my MPC plate in resin then combine them to fit the 72 Vega body, will do the frame chop on a resin mock up as well as a resin drive shaft mock chop. I don't want to give to much away on the build up want to put it on the WIP board.

Molding and casting is definitely the way to go--especially for doing modifications on a kit that isn't cheap! I'll be looking forward to your project, too!

Yeah thanks straightliner, I'm up in the air on what I want to make my molds out of while I'm waiting on the kit. I have a few options from really cheap, to high dollar. It's really gonna come down to what I got money wise and how bad I wanna get that frame cast. Definitely ready to get into it now though, may be an engine project or two with the resin too once I get the frame done 😐😁