Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vega Subframe

Sadly, Vegas are full-unibody cars. There are no subframes. As i recall, Toy IX ran a mostly stock front suspension with tubing added for stiffening. Might've been a rack & pinion added as well but the control arms, spring pockets, k-member were all stock Vega.

The models were too small to have any real chassis detail.

Look at the MPC Mustang II Pro Stocker. It's wrong but it has more detail than the Vega chassis.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Guess I'm gonna have to go to the chopping block the MPC kits rear end and lower floor pan are hideous, and the way the axle mounts in is just not well designed at all, I miss the kits I grew up with in the mid 90's. Separate rear ends, drive shafts. Was hoping there was a kit with a better assembly out there.

Edited by ManiacModeler

11 hours ago, ManiacModeler said:

Guess I'm gonna have to go to the chopping block the MPC kits rear end and lower floor pan are hideous

Most of this info was laid out honestly in the review topic, but the kit is basically a lump, promo style chassis which was never very good, and made worse over subsequent modified reissues.

• 3 weeks later...

That kit's origins date-back some 50 years to the original 1971 annual kit .  Unlike the first edition of Grumpy's '72 P/S Vega , the newer issue doesn't have the dreaded moulded-on exhaust . Surely , the rear axle and suspension is moulded-in , but... 

Short of scratch building an entire chassis and frame , you won't be happy with the kit offering .  

11 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I have been looking at AMT's Monza, for a chassis for an MPC Vega. It looks like it will take very little modification--and, it shouldn't, since they're supposed to be the same.

38 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Again,  AMT's Monza has the "chassis plate" with no molded-on parts. Front and rear suspensions are separate. After years of not really liking AMT's offering,  I have come to the conclusion that it's the way to go, for a Vega.

Yep . Both are H-bodies ( H-Special , et al. ) . I've not seen the AMT Monza's chassis & suspension , only the MPC version ( had countless iterations of that kit throughout the 70's and early 80's ) . I'll have to look into getting a copy of the reissued AMT 1975 Monza . I'd prefer a chassis sans moulded-in / on rear suspension & axle .  

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Yep . Both are H-bodies ( H-Special , et al. ) . I've not seen the AMT Monza's chassis & suspension , only the MPC version ( had countless iterations of that kit throughout the 70's and early 80's ) . I'll have to look into getting a copy of the reissued AMT 1975 Monza . I'd prefer a chassis sans moulded-in / on rear suspension & axle .  

Then, you have your candidate! I have a ton of Vegas and Monzas. I am going to need a couple more of the AMT kits.

Edited by Straightliner59

AMT made four Monza kits: '75 (called just "Monza 2+2" on the box), '76, '77, and a custom only "Monza SS".  The Round 2 reissue is a '77 but the box art is copied from the 1975 issue kit.

All have stock underbody and suspension detail.  Jenkins' Toys IX ('72) and X ('73) were built with stock front suspension but with R&P steering.  X was later converted to a strut front end and '74 exterior trim.  There were no subframe connectors on those two cars, the front ends were stock.  The rear suspension and roll cage were tied in to the rocker panels.  Toy XI ('74 Vega) had a full tube chassis and strut front end as built. 

The Monza kits would work for the engine compartment and floor detail.  For XI (and the revised X) you'll need to start from scratch.

I would build the "new" chassis onto the interior.  A separate chassis looks cool while it's in the works, but pulling everything together into a complete package will be a pain.  I'm looking forward to getting one of these things standing on four wheels, on a shelf.

• Like 1

One other thing: for the chassis detail, you want an AMT Monza, not MPC.  The MPC underbody detail is pretty much equal to their Vega kits.

On the other hand, if you want a Monza body, MPC's is the way to go.

Edited by Mark
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark said:

One other thing: for the chassis detail, you want an AMT Monza, not MPC.  The MPC underbody detail is pretty much equal to their Vega kits.

On the other hand, if you want a Monza body, MPC's is the way to go.

Agreed on all counts! I have never liked the AMT body, but, now that I've "found" that chassis... Like I said, earlier--now I'm going to have to get at least a couple more of those things.

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. I have a rebuildable glue bomb Vega wagon funny car that I'd like to turn into a '70s bracket racer or street freak. Trying to find a chassis of some sort that will fit under the Vega body. I don't have any spare Monzas and am not gonna buy one just for this. Wonder if the AMT '72 Nova chassis could be cut down? Or perhaps the Fiat chassis from the AMT Double Dragster? Hmmmmm....

Gets me wondering: all the bodies widths in 1:1 are pretty much the same, it's the length that varies. Does that affect the 1:25 length as well? And for the record 1971 - 1974 Vegas were first generation all subsequent years used the longer lower for the polyurethane front areas. Wonder how much material needs to be removed from the 2+2 kit?

Anybody with pics for comparison: 72 grumpys lump and the 2+2 frame?

2 hours ago, ManiacModeler said:

Gets me wondering: all the bodies widths in 1:1 are pretty much the same, it's the length that varies. Does that affect the 1:25 length as well? And for the record 1971 - 1974 Vegas were first generation all subsequent years used the longer lower for the polyurethane front areas. Wonder how much material needs to be removed from the 2+2 kit?

Anybody with pics for comparison: 72 grumpys lump and the 2+2 frame?

No photos...yet. The AMT Monza chassis drops right into place in an MPC '71 Vega, once the aforementioned poly skirt thingie is removed. Wheelbase is perfect! It even snugs right up to the MPC kit's interior tub. I haven't actually cut mine, but, it's obvious that it will fit, pretty much without effort. I just picked up a glue bomb AMT kit that I'll cut, once it's here. I am pretty excited by this, and disappointed that I never thought to look at one, over all these years!

19 hours ago, Mark said:

As misshapen as that Vega wagon body is, I'd look for something close enough (coil spring front and rear) and let it go at that.

I get that. I don't need stock or anything even really close to stock, just want something where the doors might be useful as normal, which the full FC frame doesn't give me. B)

I got the AMT Monza built-up, today. I took a look at what it takes to make it fit an MPC '71 Vega. The first five photos are a comparison of the two "chassis", AMT on the right.

DSC_0001cr.jpg.72c4c45cf858846c19b45328e0253161.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg.e32a745a18e82b5f2afc2d04a7aa837b.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg.71bccf312cc28747d7c3c203c56fe386.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg.c426613b874ed177875baaab20488589.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg.293c0a82ac06d868d6663ad8aa22952e.jpg

Now, the Vega's interior tub, atop the AMT chassis.

DSC_0008cr.jpg.6385a69ccfc632ff35d04279d4a64a6e.jpg

The last group of photos shows the two assemblies, together. The length of the Monza's front suspension/k-member will need to be addressed, but shouldn't cause major concern. I removed the inner fenderwells from the Monza, because they interfered with inserting the chassis. I don't believe it would be too difficult to rework them to fit, however. I removed all the skirting, at the front of the chassis, and I removed about 1/8", from the rear. In this instance, I also cut about 1/8" from the bottom of the Vega's firewall. The Monza's rear axle is too long, but, that's not any sort of issue. There's plenty of room for a set of AMT Polyglas tires, back there! Can you say "V-8 Vega"?! Yes, please!

DSC_0015cr.jpg.ca9c5f8ecf137259e581dbdaa3f7d375.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg.97c70400719dd7ee28ee10f94d65b3b4.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg.fcd3cedb404ad7f9231c1fa45c762013.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg.e17a8bc986978c3d74d0e27a50f2799b.jpg

DSC_0023cr.jpg.c7f6ea079815323b4f2fb82620b251b5.jpg

Finally, the car, as it sits with only the basic (and crude, in my case!) modifications noted above. Fixing the front suspension will drop the nose to exactly where it should be, it looks to me!

I hope this is helpful. Comments and questions are, of course,welcome!

DSC_0014cr.jpg.e82604980bb83c27b4e155fdadc00f09.jpg

Straightliner that's a good comparison, do you know what AMT kit that Monza is from my grumpys lump has a cell dead center of the rear pan and a tubbed out rear interior pan, your Vega chassis looks like a stocker too. Thanks for the photos. This is the MPC lump I'm looking to replace with the Monza chassis so the info your sharing is quite appreciated.

11407.jpeg

Edited by ManiacModeler
Spelling

1 hour ago, ManiacModeler said:

Straightliner that's a good comparison, do you know what AMT kit that Monza is from my grumpys lump has a cell dead center of the rear pan and a tubbed out rear interior pan, your Vega chassis looks like a stocker too. Thanks for the photos. This is the MPC lump I'm looking to replace with the Monza chassis so the info your sharing is quite appreciated.

11407.jpeg

I have two chassis from AMT Monzas. Both are the same .  I would guess that the AMT Monzas are all the same? Glad this turned out to be helpful!