Model Cars Magazine Forum

"SKWIRLY 2"- 'Weird Ohs' style VW pickup funny?

CB

:D Ah, inspiration.........so much from looking at other's builds on this here forum.

Ontheworkbench032-vi.jpg

Found this 'bug' in a Salvation Army store, and it's been sitting around waiting

for me to do something with it for quite some time. Kept walking past the

chopper bicycle and wondering if both wheels are the same :D , coz they'd look

way cool on the front of some dragster. Also, from a bad day, when I went to

Dollar General and bought almost $100 worth of 'toys' coz they had really cool

looking wheels on them, pretty sure the big tires with the brown rims are off

a quad.

Checked out the wheels on the bike, and they're both the same, so I'm good to

go with them. Took one of the quad tires down to the disc/belt sander and offed

the tread--- :blink:slicks! Looked thru my stash for biggie Zinger type engine parts--

looks like I'm gonna have to scratch them, maybe use George's big rear end? :lol:

Shot a pic of the buggy body into my 'puter, and worked this up:

skwirlydragonbuggy-vi.jpg

that's all I got for now...........God only knows how it's gonna end up :rolleyes:

Edited by CB

Well Cap'n, from the looks of it, you seem to be off to a good start.Now, whatcha gone do wit watcha got? You REALLY think MY big rear end isgonna fit in 'at thang? Oh, you mean THAT rear end! Well it don't look like nuttin you cain't handle, so git to handlein it! :P

OH BOY! ;) I done went and did it again.........I shoulda remembered that you got that radar on there in Deeteroit, George! I do gotta explain that remark about yer big rear end to all the wonderful peeps who might be wonderin :P . George & I made a deal some time ago and I wound up with a 1/8 scale '32 Roadster WIP, which I aint got around too, (hard to get around his BIG rear end :D ---sorry George! I just can't resist!) Probably best just to say goodnite.........

Did a little work on "SKWIRLY" on the computer this morning, hoping the

wind gusts don't knock the power out--so far so goodly.

skwirlydragonbuggymockemup-vi.jpg

Still not sure how far I wants to go detail-wise on this, but then I didn't

plan on putting all that detail into my Li'l T, neither :D

What SCALE's it lookin ta be Cap'n? I got a coupla 1/12 kits an some 1/16th kits that are just layin around. Maybe you can use some parts from them? just let me know Daddy-O caz this is lookin like the most UT! :lol:

Hmmm......goodly question 'bout the scale George. Purty sure yer big rear end won't fit in it! :lol:

Methinks it's probly closer to 1/12 than anythang else, but the big turn on fer me is the scratchbuilding of the parts, and I just might build it up Zinger-style, so scale be out the window anyhows. I already gots a huge stash of drinky straws, sheet styrene, and lotsa sprue :)

and if'n dat don't work, I always gots lots of wood. Thanks anyhows for the offer....

...you ever buildem up any them 12s or 16s? I done did a 1/12 fittyseven chebby years ago---no idea where it am now :o

Got a few moments today to do a bit of a mockup. Body's gonna sit

a lot lower, probably similar stance, just not raked as much once them

rear fenders are opened up.

SKWIRLYmockup-vi.jpg

Still not sure what kinda chop to put on that roof :unsure: ......

.....probably just whack it off and then see :blink: .

Yer right Cap'n. A top chop would do wonders for it, although she don't look bad the way she is. I do likeses the Wheel/Tyre combo though(notice the Euro savwafare type of lingo? tYre?) Looks like your onna right track ta me Cap'n, Jus hope there ain't no full-loaded freight comin on this same line! :blink::blink::unsure:

Glad to see ya back playn' with the styrene CB!!!! :D

Hope Santy Klaus was good to ya.

Keep us posted on dis here beetle-buggy!

I knoz its gonna be tooooo cool when you slip ur unique twisties in on it! B)

Ps. I know why you took a sabad... sabbatta... a rest-em-up after you finishied yourn Lil T.

I finally found one... geez its smaller than I 'member it beein (no jokes pleez). :o

Mebbe my hands were smaller and my eyes were bigger way back then! B)

Yer right Cap'n. A top chop would do wonders for it, although she don't look bad the way she is. I do likeses the Wheel/Tyre combo though(notice the Euro savwafare type of lingo? tYre?) Looks like your onna right track ta me Cap'n, Jus hope there ain't no full-loaded freight comin on this same line! :blink::P:)

Been whacked so many times by them freakin full loaded freights, don't much matter anymore George. My problem is, I keep trying to get back up and while I'm staggerin around, another one whacks me.

Glad to see ya back playn' with the styrene CB!!!! :D

Hope Santy Klaus was good to ya.

Keep us posted on dis here beetle-buggy!

I knoz its gonna be tooooo cool when you slip ur unique twisties in on it! :blink:

Ps. I know why you took a sabad... sabbatta... a rest-em-up after you finishied yourn Lil T.

I finally found one... geez its smaller than I 'member it beein (no jokes pleez). :o

Mebbe my hands were smaller and my eyes were bigger way back then! :P

Don't be worryin' about the jokes 84--the 'new' kinder and gentler MCM forum don't put up with that ######. Only proper langueage and decorum allowed on board.

See below for my 'unique twisties' on SKWIRLY. Apparently it was gettin so cool it got hot :)

BRO, MUST BE THE BUG FEVER.....

GLAD I COULD HELP SPREAD THE BUG :P

yeah, thanks tons dude..........I'm so sick I don't know what I'm doin

SKWIRLYgetswrecked-vi.jpg

Figured I'd dip ol SKWIRLY in a hot bath to loosen up the adhesive on them

stickers---never thought this would happen! :blink:

smashedupSKWIRLY-vi.jpg

the bug done shrivelled up on me.....

SKWIRLYafterhotmassage-vi.jpg

Gave 'im a hot massage with my bigass heatem up gun, hopin' fer the bestest

but I don't think the bug is goin be happenin. Then I rememembmered him

big brother, (or sister--kinda hard to tell the sex o them Vdubyas), and so

say 'Howdi' to ''SKWIRLY 2''.

SKWIRLY2-vi.jpg

oneSKWIRLYgoesoneSKWIRLYstays-vi.jpg

Guess we'll see what kinda mess I can make outa ''SKWIRLY 2'' too. :)

SKWIRLYgetswrecked-vi.jpg

That hurts CB!

You must have really made the styrene gods mad at you. :)

They stole in during the night and smote your Skwirly-bug down with fire and brimstone. :huh:

It must have stemmed (no pun intended) from your pre-holiday endeavors with that natural stuff called wood.

Actually it looks like some of my custom body work! :huh:

Well splittie transporters are cool too. I can't wait to see Skwirly II! B)

Poor Lil Skwirly, she looks like she took her a BAD acid trip, an DIN'T come back! Tol ya NOT ta let her get too close ta them 'Shrooms!!! Now, as for S2, yer jus plain sick. All em glue fumes dun blown yer stuff out Dude! Just do whacha gotta do, an let us see the damage! This is gonna be FUN! B)

Poor Lil Skwirly, she looks like she took her a BAD acid trip, an DIN'T come back! Tol ya NOT ta let her get too close ta them 'Shrooms!!! Now, as for S2, yer jus plain sick. All em glue fumes dun blown yer stuff out Dude! Just do whacha gotta do, an let us see the damage! This is gonna be FUN! ;)

Aw, gee whiz (hope that aint a bad word) George........I don't be rememberin if'n you told me bout keepin SKWIRLY away from them 'shrooms--must be old age an mebbe them old Mills too :lol: .

Now, as fer SKIRLY 2, I think I'm goin squirrely B) ---been spending an inordinate (ooh! ya'll imbressed?) amount of time on the puter designing parts fer SK2 and slicing and dicing it up, down, back & forth. Here's the first idea I had

earlySKWIRLY2idea-vi.jpg

was gonna make a bigger cab, kinda chopped, and mebbe drop the big 1/8 V8 outa the big '32 in the back, but didn't wanna go with them carbs (gotta watch my cholesterol :D ) so I did a little engine work on the puter

skwirlypossiblyengined-vi.jpg

and played with some painty ideas. Then I cornsidered a mo' severe chop to the top & @

SKWIRLY2getsdown-vi.jpg

but it didn't really grab me..........but I did decide to go back to them bicycle wheels.

Also decided to scratch a new roof, outa some sheet styrene using my bigass heatem up gun to help,

newroofforSKWIRLY2-vi.jpg

maybe even do a RattyFinky type thing bursting thru it, and so I started gutting the body........

interiorwork-vi.jpg

SKWIRLY2inthebeginning-vi.jpg

lovethissaw-vi.jpg

Got me this really cool keyhole saw, shaped like a pistol (me like ;) ) and started cutting :D !!

After getting my rocks off cutting ol SKWILRY 2 all up, turned my tension back to the roof,

and got'r done.

SKWIRLYbeforesurgery-vi.jpg

Yeah, I know, gots them wires back on it--still goin squirrely at times.

Slopped a lot of cement to the roofing parts and let it set up overnite.

Got back on the puter and started seein if'n the RattyFinky thing was viable,

skwirlyfinkyvwvanup-vi.jpg

or if it would lead to an extremely inordinate (there I goes again, with the big words)

amount of time and effort that would snot result in an end product worthy of.........

.....AW, the heck wit dat.

Stay tuned for the next installment of pics, soon as I postem up this'n.

Ok laddies, I'm back, or so I think........ I did decide to go with VW power for this here SKWIRLY thing, and after extensive oogling at 3mens2's powderplant in his VWprostock bug, and some pics of 1:1 drag racing VW engines, I started designing my own:

engine-vi.jpg

Can't wait to start scratchin this puppy. Still not sure if'n I'm gonna go Zinger stylin, or half hearted realistic. Also, initially, while designing this I had planned on one, maybe two blowers, instead of the carbs and stacks I seen most of them VW engines sporting.

Crawled back into the puter and dropped the engine into a couple mock ups:SKWIRLYPICKUPMOCKUP-vi.jpg

SKWIRLYDRAGSTER-vi.jpg

(almost like sitting in class, ignoring the teach, & just designing race cars :D )

So anyhow, layed out some cut lines and did some more cuttingSKWIRLYaftersurgery-vi.jpg

and here's where ol' SKWIRLY 2 is right now........

SKWIRLYgutted-vi.jpg

SKWIRLYINGatya-vi.jpg

Think I should lose the flower thing off the front? B)

You are a wild and crazy guy!!

;) 'Zat good, Raul? Sometimes I wonder, but then I come to my senses--or take leave of 'em! :lol: I never can figger out which it is :P .....

Oh well, in addition to being wild & carzy, I are also obessive compulsive :D and couldn't wait to get my mitts back on ol' SKWIRLSY 2. Started puttin the back back on the cab:cabforSKWIRLY-vi.jpg

skwirlybackcab-vi.jpg

:blink::unsure::huh:-_--_--_-