Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's styled 2005 "RETRO-VETTE" COUPE

E St. Kruiser50

Hey all :)

Haven't posted in a while, been havin' too much fun these last few days ;) .

Got the carpet done for the floor's and trunk area, then started on the dash using the pod's from the '67 Corvette. It took two dash's, as I needed to cut out the glove box so I could detail it with foil and woodgrain.

The woodgrain I did by using several different Testor's brown's, sorta blended, but not mixed and I used a wet-in-wet painting process that oil painter's use to blend shades. With a little practice, most can learn to do Faux (Fake) woodgrain. I did the 63 'Vette steering wheel too.

Did the driver's side too, making all the gauge bezels and adding the gauge faces.

Here's the template's and carpet cut out and ready to install..

Photobucket2008185.jpg

Here's the major body pieces.

Photobucket2008186.jpg

Here's the carpet installed

Photobucket2008187.jpg

Here's the dash part's and door panel's.

Photobucket2008189-1.jpg

Here's all the alum. pieces for the gauge bezels, wire for dash trim, and mini-pins for knob's, and to put into the ends of the drilled out turn indicator stalk, and steering wheel tilt stalk, and misc. decals for gauges

Photobucket2008192.jpg

Here's some of the parts laid out before assembly - 47 pieces after everything was done.

Photobucket2008196.jpg

Photobucket2008198.jpg

Photobucket2008208.jpg

Photobucket2008206.jpg

Photobucket2008199.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

The whole interior looks GREAT!!

The dash is a 47 piece work of retro art!!

From my experience, it can be difficult combining the right elements of the old with the new while achieving a good balance, but you've got this one nailed!!

Thanks for sharing,

Ok NOW yer slackin! ONLY 47 peices? Couldn't do an EVEN 50? just 3 little lousy peices an we'd have a Jen-u-wine half a hunnert peice dash! Ok that's enough now. I like it, an Clay an Custom hearse'll, just hafta get in line, caz if I can't have Hollywood, this'n 'll do. Great job Dave, as usual! :wub::lol::D

;):lol::lol:

You guy's are all great :lol:

Got the interior all done and installed, and a bunch of other part's installed too.

I'll post new pic's maybe tonight.

Think I'm on the down hill slide of this now. Gotta finish installing the suspension, then the last major stuff will be the door panels and leather seats.

Probably about two to three weeks and well be wrapping up the Old Gal. No hurry here. ;)

Ok NOW yer slackin! ONLY 47 peices? Couldn't do an EVEN 50? just 3 little lousy peices an we'd have a Jen-u-wine half a hunnert peice dash! Ok that's enough now. I like it, an Clay an Custom hearse'll, just hafta get in line, caz if I can't have Hollywood, this'n 'll do. Great job Dave, as usual! :lol::D;)

You can can have Hollywood George.... For 3 easy payments of only $29.95, plus shipping and handling, but I get this! :P

This is totally awesome Dave! You are going all out on this one (and I'm not saying this so you'll send it to me :lol: )! This one is really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build!

Dave,

I hope you don't mind but after seeing your build I had to do my own. I've changed enough so that they won't be identical but I wanted to thank you for the inspiration to do this.

I have the nose finished. I made mine a little more pointy than yours and stretched it out a bit. I also retained the stock marker lights.

In the rear I filled in where the rear window goes and made it a flat deck. I added the rear "sail panels" from the '69 instead of your split window. I also restyled the rear VERy similar to yours but will be retaining the stock side marker lights and I'll be incorporating the slight spoiler molded into the 69. I also relocated the CHMSL to the rear of the Targa bar.

I'll post some pics once all the bodywork is done.

Thanks for the inspiration. I haven't gotten as detailed as you have but I think I've had as much fun!!!

Ron

Dave,

I hope you don't mind but after seeing your build I had to do my own. I've changed enough so that they won't be identical but I wanted to thank you for the inspiration to do this.

I have the nose finished. I made mine a little more pointy than yours and stretched it out a bit. I also retained the stock marker lights.

In the rear I filled in where the rear window goes and made it a flat deck. I added the rear "sail panels" from the '69 instead of your split window. I also restyled the rear VERy similar to yours but will be retaining the stock side marker lights and I'll be incorporating the slight spoiler molded into the 69. I also relocated the CHMSL to the rear of the Targa bar.

Thanks for the inspiration. I haven't gotten as detailed as you have but I think I've had as much fun!!!

Ron

Thanks everyone for the great comments, support, and idea's :angry: .

Slowing down now a little, as the detail stuff take's more time and concentration to hopefully get all the last things looking right, and working properly.

So far, so good.

I'll add more new pic's later.

Again, thanks to all of you - dave B)

Dave,

Ron

Hi Ron :)

Your's sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see the pic's ;) . I hope it's soon.

And no I don't mind you doing some things like mine. We're all here to be inspired by each other, and learn from each other. I'm learning from other guy's here too, and have copied other people's work myself.

We're here to have fun.

By the way, welcome to the forum. It looks like by your number of posts that your fairly new here.

This is a great place to have fun, and is kinda like family, so stick around and you'll get" Adopted in", and make some new friends.

It was nice to hear from you - dave :D

Well, we're finally getting close to completion - YEAH :D:).

Got all the suspension done, and will get a few other details taken care of, and then it's time to start the door panels and the leather covered seats. This part I really enjoy. It's very tedious and I have to be immacultely carefull while I'm doing this.

I have to plan each of my step's, before starting.

I'll be using two different color's for the seats, and the thinness of the leather I need, requires me to use a particular leather, that I'll have to change the color, using an oil-based leather dye. Never done that before, but got all the supplies yesterday, and we did a few samples at the leather good's store, and then will do some sample stuff on my own, to make sure I do it right, and find out how long it takes to dry thoroughly

Anyway, here's some new pic's.

Here's the pins installed in the door's.

Photobucket2008209.jpg

Here's the striker plates that the pin's ride against, installed in the recesses in the door jam's

Photobucket2008210.jpg

And here's the dash with a bit more detail, permanently installed.

Photobucket2008211.jpg

Hey everyone :P

Gettin started on the last leg of this fun project. ;)

Gotta go down to the Portland Roadster Show today, and help with the move-in for the BOB PAETH PORTLAND CLASSIC MODEL CAR CONTEST, as I'm the vise-president of SABA, and helping officiate and judge the event, so won't be gettin' serious about this 'terior ;) stuff 'till next week, as this run's through Sunday, but figured I'd share a few thought's about it, and post some begining pics here a bit later this morning, before I leave.

The leather I'll be using is about .015", fifteen thousandth's thick, the same thickness as the diameter as a #79 micro-drill >THIN< :blink:.

It stretches and fit's rounded contour's very nicely.

It comes from the country of Denmark, and is tanned in Sweden. I buy it in full skin's and it comes in different colors, thicknesses, and sizes. Usually about 9-18 square feet, and they charge by the square foot.

The door panels will get one piece covered along the top of the door panel, and the seat's will be two-toned dyed and colored leather, and there'll be several pieces of the seat's to be covered when I'm done cutting them all apart.

All the pieces to be covered will be removed and covered seperately, and then re-assembled to it's rightful location.

Very meticulous and time consuming - BUT FUN :blink:

Anyhow, I will take some pic's and post them later - dave :D

Here's some of the materials I'll be using and the part's I'll be covering.

As you can see, I've already started to cut the seat's apart and there'll be more cutting before I start.

There's a sample piece of leather that was dyed at the leather goods store, to make sure it would work on the color of leather I chose. I may finish dying it, and use it, as it turned out really well for a scrap piece.

There are swabs pictured here also, as is the oil-based dye, which allows the leather to stay soft and supple, and retain it's natural sheen.

Photobucket2008224.jpg

Here's a pic of the skin that I'll use.

The light color is the leather side, and the darker side is suede.

Photobucket2008222.jpg

And here's a new color I picked up, that is a kinda butterscotch - very pretty :angry: .

Again, the light color is the leather side.

Photobucket2008221.jpg

That's just Awesome..

Dash looks really good with the wood grain trim..

That Yellow is soo bright, I gotta wear shades :lol:

Really out done your self..

is that possible?? :D

The show is this weekend?

My how time flys

Edited by Zukiholic

That's just Awesome..

Dash looks really good with the wood grain trim..

That Yellow is soo bright, I gotta wear shades ;)

Really out done your self..

is that possible?? :lol:

The show is this weekend?

My how time flys

Thanks "Zuk" :D

Had a great time yesterday at the move-in for the show. Lotta models showed up. Lotsa great 1 to 1's out on the floor. Probably well over 300, with some great rides. Got my camera today :D .

Havin' lunch with someone everyday, so it'll definetly be a fun three days.

Have a good weekend - dave :lol:

Hi Ron :rolleyes:

Your's sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see the pic's ;) . I hope it's soon.

And no I don't mind you doing some things like mine. We're all here to be inspired by each other, and learn from each other. I'm learning from other guy's here too, and have copied other people's work myself.

We're here to have fun.

By the way, welcome to the forum. It looks like by your number of posts that your fairly new here.

This is a great place to have fun, and is kinda like family, so stick around and you'll get" Adopted in", and make some new friends.

It was nice to hear from you - dave :P

Dave,

Thanks for the kind welcome!

I've been busy finalizing the bodywork on the 69/'05 hybrid. I've got it about 85% smoothed out. Once I've got the whole thing primed I'll post some pics of it.

As I was working on it I was looking at a junk '78 Vette that I have in my Vette stash. I also have a couple of the Z06 kits........It got me thinking. How would the Z06 look done up with a 78 nose and tail? The Z06 rear glass really mimicks the rear window on the '78.

I busted both kits open and started mocking them up. The problem was that even the 1/24 Vette nose and tail were way too narrow for the the Z06. I would have to widen them. This would be ALOT more work than I wanted to get involved with and I would need to get another '78 kit for the spare back bumper so I could just splice two together to make it wide enough. As I was putting everything back on the shelves I spied an old MINT 1/20 scale 1982 Corvette. This thing was still sealed. I couldn't remember what I paid for it so I ripped it open and grabbed the bumpers. The rear fit almost perfect. Very little cutting on the Z.

The front took some fiddling but it's on. Let me tell you this looks AWESOME. Thanks for the inspiration! I've got two finished C6 vettes on the shelf now and they are both yellow. I think I will paint my 69/'05 the same yellow. The 82/Z06 will be painted black and silver like the '78 pace cars. I have to make sure my body work on this one is perfect because the black will show every little screw up.

Again thanks for the inspiration. I'll get pics posted this week!

Ron

Dave,

Thanks for the kind welcome!

I've been busy finalizing the bodywork on the 69/'05 hybrid. I've got it about 85% smoothed out. Once I've got the whole thing primed I'll post some pics of it.

As I was working on it I was looking at a junk '78 Vette that I have in my Vette stash. I also have a couple of the Z06 kits........It got me thinking. How would the Z06 look done up with a 78 nose and tail? The Z06 rear glass really mimicks the rear window on the '78.

I busted both kits open and started mocking them up. The problem was that even the 1/24 Vette nose and tail were way too narrow for the the Z06. I would have to widen them. This would be ALOT more work than I wanted to get involved with and I would need to get another '78 kit for the spare back bumper so I could just splice two together to make it wide enough. As I was putting everything back on the shelves I spied an old MINT 1/20 scale 1982 Corvette. This thing was still sealed. I couldn't remember what I paid for it so I ripped it open and grabbed the bumpers. The rear fit almost perfect. Very little cutting on the Z.

The front took some fiddling but it's on. Let me tell you this looks AWESOME. Thanks for the inspiration! I've got two finished C6 vettes on the shelf now and they are both yellow. I think I will paint my 69/'05 the same yellow. The 82/Z06 will be painted black and silver like the '78 pace cars. I have to make sure my body work on this one is perfect because the black will show every little screw up.

Again thanks for the inspiration. I'll get pics posted this week!

Ron

Sounds exciting Ron :lol:

I'll be watching for your thread and new pic's.

Can't wait to see how everything is coming together.

Talk to you soon - dave B)

Gettin' closer for the ol' gal to be done.

Leather added to the top of the door panels and wood grain added also, like cars had in the 60's. I also added some chrome trim, and chrome door handle and window crank's, that if real, are switche's to activate the electric window's and door's. FUN TO PRETEND :)

Seat's covered with leather are next, and the car is done........... :D:D:o !

Photobucket2008227.jpg

Photobucket2008232.jpg