Model Cars Magazine Forum

71-73 Mustang Kit Accuracy

I am thinking of buidling a 71-73 Mustang. I have a few 80s issues like the AMT street machine (molded in yellow) and the MPC '71 Boss 351. And I think a couple more recent ones from the past couple of decades. What might be the pros and cons of these kits as far as accuracy?

Check out this website below plus all the previous threads on this topic.  The MPC kit (now under AMT branding) is easier to obtain but the original AMT kits have a more realistic stock interior.  I would first decide what you want to build starting with the year 71/72 or 73 as the 73 grille and bumper are different.  Then decide do you want to build a drag car, TA race car, Grand National stock car or dirt track car, or perhaps a regular Sportsroof, Boss 351, Mach1, Shelby Europa or Sprint.  This decision will determine what aftermarket parts you will need (grille/bumper and perhaps decals) or parts from other kits.  The major problems with both kits are the lack of engine compartment and chassis detail, incorrect engines, incorrect dual exhaust (from 69/70), no ram-air plenum with correct air cleaner, no Magnum 500 wheels just to name a few.  I noticed Rob updated his website recently but I’m not sure if he ever completed his builds.

Here are some of mine.  It should be noted I added the resin shock towers on two on my builds and the resin ram-air setup on the gold one.  The 007 car is an original AMT kit.  The sprint decals were from Keith Marks.

robdebie.home.xs4all.nl

53608714-2DF1-4CF1-A7E5-DC2ED6A3B589.png

6CB19DAC-CA14-4019-BE66-1FD5EB23AC85.jpeg

23867096-AA09-43A0-BDC4-4473DB9CC74B.jpeg

6BC05FD3-DF9E-4DB3-8376-0F2A7BC533E6.jpeg

6051612F-3FBA-4282-8370-EACEB17EFAB0.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

5 hours ago, SuperDave said:

You may be right about waiting for that new kit.

Yeah, it would be difficult for it to be any worse than what you've got now. At least once it's out you can decide which is better. I've got three of the MPC kits and haven't built them because they're going to be so much work to make right.

20 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Yeah, it would be difficult for it to be any worse than what you've got now. At least once it's out you can decide which is better. I've got three of the MPC kits and haven't built them because they're going to be so much work to make right.

I would certainly hope an all new Revell kit would be so superior that most of the MPC and AMT kits end up in Big Lots or similar discount stores.  When Revell tooled its 69 Mach1 I’m sure the undersized MPC kit sales took a nose dive.  For the most part only collectors will pay a premium for older kits that has been long discontinued.  It amazes me I see AMT 70 Mach1 kits routinely sell for well over $100 on auction sites when the Revell kit is available for far less.