Model Cars Magazine Forum

#24 Jeff Gordon Dupont/ Superman Chromalusion (1999 The Winston Select)

Slipster17

What began as a pipedream in December is now reality. Using promotional/ diecast box art I recreated the Superman image on the side of this car as a full vector-based graphic for a Sim-Racing project. Once I was all done with that I got the itch to see what else I could use it for...

The result - A one-off build of Jeff Gordon's special paint scheme from the 1999 Winston Select. Sporting custom decals from 3 Amigos Decals . Sam was able to take my Superman graphic and build the rest of the decal set around it - with awesome results! I cannot say enough about how rewarding it was to work with him on this project! We passed a few test pages back and forth, I would print them out and test fit them to the Revell body to verify the scale and coverage was correct and then get back to him with any changes I thought might be needed. Just about every decal on the car also has a separate white underlayer to help the color pop like it should over the darker paint. The awesome paint I chose, BTW, is called "Darth Blue" and is a colorshift airbrush paint available from GreenStuffWorld. The chroma effect looks about as close to the real deal as I could have hoped! Some supplemental decals under the hood and on the wheels from older Slixx sheets.

Custom interior touches include a newer version of the Revell drivers seat, self-fabbed leg protection, ignition module under the dash, more accurately positioned fire extinguisher, self made Earnhardt bar and the rear shelf from a Ford model to better reflect the look of the real car. This was also my first attempt at cutting out the stock plastic window net and fashioning my own from strips of painters tape.

Enjoy, feel free to comment and thank you for looking!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great work! Those decals that you made realy came out nice! Congrats on a beautifull build! When i get over to the states next time (not any time soon i guess) i will need to pick up allot of stockcars so i can build some as they should and not only rob them of thier nice custom chassis ;)