Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1969 Ford Cobra

Stevearado

1969 Ford Torino Cobra
Kit #6893
1990 Release Date

cobraboxwh2.jpg

This kit is a 3 in 1 affair: stock, custom, and NASCAR. There are 7 sprues molded in light gray styrene, 1 chrome sprue, 1 clear sprue, 1 small red transparent sprue, body, interior tub, and floorpan. In a review by Bluesman Mark on the 69 Torino Cobra Modified Stocker, he included a small history where he stated that the 69 MS was retooled back to near annual kit configuration in the early 90's. The body in this kit concurs with his review by reveiling the marks inside the wheelwells where they were once radiused.

The Body:
cobrabodynk7.jpg

The body is fairly decent with no real flash, and with the usual mold lines. There are two screw hole attachments on the radiator core that reflects it's promo roots. The exterior around the wheelwells show no deformation from the tooling being restored from its initial Modified Stocker configuration.

Floor Plate and Interior Tub:
cobratubundercarragezu6.jpg

Reflecting its promo/annual kit roots, the drive shaft, rear end/axle, and leaf springs are molded in. There is some flash in the floor plate that will have to be taken care of to look decent. There is a small sprue attached.

Parts Sprues:
cobrasprueszr4.jpg

The stock car steel wheels are spread out among the sprues. All gray styrene sprues are in a single bag along with the body.

428 Cobra Jet V8:
enginedetailyb0.jpg

Choice Of Dashboards: Stock and NASCAR:
dashesom9.jpg

Chrome Parts:
cobrachromerb0.jpg

The chrome parts were bagged separately and look decent. Stock and custom wheels are attached.

053ry2.jpg

Clear Parts:
cobraglasscm0.jpg

The clear parts were not bagged separate.

Other Parts:
001wv6.jpg

A clear red sprue holds two taillights. There are two metal pins for the front wheel spindles, and the metal rod for the rear axle. two sets of tires are included: a set of stock tires and a set of racing slicks for the NASCAR version. A small decal sheet is also included.

Edited by Casey

Nice review! I never got this kit, but always wondered what it looked like inside, thanks for this!

Bill, I was thinking the exact same thing! Floor plans look very similiar, If it does fit, That's great since you can pick from 3 model kits with the same floor plan, (427,gt or the comet)

I have a couple of those in my stash.. never did get the Talledega version that AMT did. I've never sat down and compared this issue to the original AMT '69 Torino GT and Torino Cobra (coupe/conv) kits I have in my stash. So I wonder if the recent Modified Stocker kit was modified from this issue or a was a new body tool?

Thanks for the pictured review Steve! I have this kit ..............somewhere. I was wondering if the newer tool '66 Fairlane chassis would work underneath that?

Hmmm............now my curiosity is up, and I'll have to dig these kits out and take a look see. :P

got one on the back burner and the chassis will work with some minor surgery.