Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone ever "split" a body for 3D printing?

24 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Thanks Rob! I had to download the program as it wasn't on my Windows 11. I'll take a look at the video and play around with the software. Meanwhile, I learned an interesting trick in Blender in getting rough surface bodies MUCH more smoothed out for final printing. It's too much to go into explaining here, but I tried this on a Karmann Ghia Type 34 file I have which was on the rough side.

Looks MUCH better, and I'll have to remember this technique if I run into any more files that are "less than acceptable".

I'll let you know if I was able to split the body or not. ;) 

This is a quick split that I did on my lunch break

Split Cougar_resize.jpg

OK............I got one half of the body to split, but I'm going to have to try this over again and again till I get the hang of it where I can save both halves.......and they'll match up with no drama if/when the time comes to print, and the both halves are not appearing disjointed.

If it turns into to much of a hassle, I've got a second larger printer on the way, and I'll just print it per normal. I don't need much more gray hairs to get software to cooperate.

OK! This is what I got.........as you'll see in the corner of the pic, this was the issue I kept running into for whatever reason. It could be this is a Windows 11 laptop, and there are some things that don't play nice with the software. Either which way, the next challenge would be scaling the two halves so that they're in 1/25th. Also, getting them to match up like I mentioned without them looking "out of place". I gotta tell ya, this was a bit of an annoyance to get the program to work....when I'm up to it, I think there were some missed steps/shortcuts that the fellow in the video may have missed. I'll dig around for those.

Here's the elusive split Maserati Ghibli coupe.............

Split Maserati.jpg

Edited by MrObsessive

On 3/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, MrObsessive said:

BTW, despite having to change the file extensions in 3D Builder, Chitubox did load up the .STL file, so there won't be any drama when it comes time for the printer to run this.

I use Meshmixer for the last two I did. Its free and it will also detect issues in the file & you can save both sides in the same file.

• Like 1