Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detroit Plastic Products Corp

I recently came across a reference to an Erik El Erikson who founded this company in 1949.  I can find no info regarding any models they may have made.

From the linked article:

"Under his direction, Detroit Plastic Products Corporation pioneered the conversion to plastics of components such as pillar garnish moldings and heater and air conditioning louvers. His company also was important as a custom injection molder of toys and housewares and as a blow molder of bottles for consumer packaging applications.

...Detroit Plastic Products also specialized in molding scale-model cars and model kits. After selling Detroit Plastic Products in 1977, Erikson worked to upgrade the molding technology for other automotive molders. Shortly before his death in 1993, he was developing a new process known as gas-assist injection molding, popular today."

Would any of you happen to have info?

https://plasticshof.org/members/erile-erickson/

I have never seen any reference to Detroit Plastic Products, but I'm pretty sure he was involved with SMP.  Most people think SMP kits were just rebranded AMT.  AMT was heavily involved with Ford in the Fifties (having been founded by an attorney who worked with Ford a lot), so other car companies were slow to give them promo model contracts fearing information could be provided to Ford.  SMP was a separate company, although with some financial backing from AMT.  AMT bought SMP out in 1961, some early production 1962 kits were branded SMP but were soon switched over.

I believe Erikson put in a bid on AMT when it came up for sale in 1978, and took a position with Lesney (the winning bidder) and worked at AMT for a while after Lesney took over.  Dennis Doty would know more about this, though.

Probably already Google searched and found this, but in case not, some good info here: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/103206434/erik-evert-erikson

"The company headquarters were located at 15 Mile and Groesbeck and eventually included three other Plants. Anchor Bay Plastics in Fairhaven, Viking Industrial Plastics in Sturgis and TLC Plastics In Madison Heights. All the plants were in Michigan and employed approximately 500 people."