Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weathering effects: Rust, Chipping, Cracks, Rainmarks etc.

I'm a beginner and have found a lot of good ideas on this forum. I hope I can give you something with my video below. It is not a tutorial, but rather a summary of a research. I am calling it an inspiration video, but I will soon make the second episode with the colors I recommend which will be a classic "How to" video.

I would be happy if you continue with this topic. For example, I'd like to know how you get the undercarriage dirty. (for a street car, not 4x4)

Edited by GoForItPainting
  • Like 1

This is great, thanks for sharing. I have found the best resources for weathering tutorials (YouTube) is from the guys that built Armor, Tanks, planes, military and Dioramas. Scale Creation World, Night Shift, Scale-a-Ton, and many more. I learned a huge amount from them and I have been fairly successful in recreating weathering with their help. While these are my creations, all of the weathering that I used I learned from these very helpful YouTubers.

Mack12.jpg

mack1.jpg

Mack16.jpg

20220528_185448.thumb.jpg.4328fce9d2d61e2737625c427d2d69a2.jpg

20220528_185439.thumb.jpg.769e49a50339e5908e06dbe2f1861e0d.jpg

20220528_185226.thumb.jpg.655a72b3c4a31b5e88c549a38ac3c704.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The trick to convincing rusting, or weathering, is just NOT to over-do it!  The eye of the beholder will f'ill in the gaps' on a rusty/weathered finish, but too much instantly ruins the effect.  I'm not expert; I do very little of this, but I've fought a lot of 1:1 rust in sixty years!

Also, be aware of what materials do not rust: my favorite was the derelict Chevy Cameo pickup that was in SA's auto show issue a few years back; the builder had a fairly convincing derelict pickup going, but through ignorance of the above, he'd elaborately rusted-out the fender sides, which are of course fiberglass!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...