Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bought cheap from a high school buddy (RIP) somewhere around my 40th birthday, in 1996. It ran well but was hurtin' everywhere else. New springs, shocks, chassis bushings, brakes, master cylinder, wheels, tires, exhaust system,headlight bezels, grille, taillights, hood, (GN)seats and carpet. Rebuilt the trans, installed a shift kit. Changed the chip, (Turbo Trans Am) regulator, 160 degree thermostat, gutted the catalytic converter, and installed a K&N 'cone' air filter in place of the stock setup. It had 89K when I got it, now has 137K on the original motor and turbo. It's been on many road trips, mainly NYC to Atlanta. Fast, fun and reliable. A V6 that makes 425 HP and gets 10 mpg, but it makes me smile.

1115131514a copy.jpg

0731131314.jpg

WP_20220105_002.jpg

It was a Monogram glue bomb 1/24th scale GNX that I shortened, narrowed and chopped, ever so slightly, to reduce it to 1/25th scale. I used a 1/25th scale Nascar Regal for a size reference. I've done this to another Regal, a Monte SS and probably a few other cars. The T-tops came from a Monogram '89 Turbo Trans Am. My OCD wont let me build two scales, 1/24 and 1/25. The last pic shows this Regal, the incomplete Grand National mentioned earlier, and a stock, unmodified 1/24th scale Grand National body.

WP_20170506_004.jpg

WP_20170701_001.jpg

WP_20170526_003.jpg

WP_20170724_005.jpg

Edited by Daryl Romain