Model Cars Magazine Forum

For this build, I decided to combine the Ford surfer van (graphics) with the Chevy custom van. 

First off, I like any porthole window in custom vans, but the graphics are so cool that I didn't want to take away from that, so I filled the windows in with some styrene strips and glued them into place. Next, they'll get some putty to smooth them out.

Next if you haven't already gone to the dollar store and pick up some of these plastic clothes pins you should. They're great for everything. Strangely, the instruction sheet has a picture of an intake manifold but there is none in the kit. Or valve covers but a shiny chrome air cleaner. No biggie, this is pretty much a curbside kit anyway. Secondly, those 2-piece tires totally suck. I even used some 3M black weather-stripping adhesive and first there is no way to line the 2 halves' up. You just have to wing it. Not cool Revell. Stick with 1-piece tires from now on. This is the 2nd time I glued them together. They fall apart the moment I try to put them onto the socket to spin them to even out the tread. I'll let them set up overnight.

20220911_143417.thumb.jpg.0783352a3dfa34d309b1e64bd0521d9d.jpg20220911_145722.thumb.jpg.0bb2d0e0bf3dd5df6e10a126c1aa583c.jpg20220911_160412.thumb.jpg.10e7c2fa0e6ed2ae35f1e90650524200.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

8 hours ago, dust collectors said:

hell yeah, love the replacements 

One of my favorite bands of all time.2 of my friends and I got to drink with them after a show in Philly at a bar across from the Tower theater during the Don't Tell a Soul tour. We all still talk about that night. I clipped the picture out of an old Spin magazine. I wanted it to look like somebody was watching a rock and roll documentary on the flat screen. 🎸

Moving right along.  Now that I this rig is going to have a modern flat screen TV, I decided to turn that old school TV into storage drawers. I scavenged the nicer looking seats from the Ford van as well as the decals, and surufboards. The nice wheels and tires are going to other projects. I gotta say, These are some handsome vintage surfboards and racks. AMT did a nice job on all this stuff. Big fan of those Wide Ovals. Can't wait until they offer these as a set. All over several sets!20220913_111118.thumb.jpg.fb7bdbc5b621783cd265e4e43b5d6e5b.jpg

Those Ford seats were pretty involved putting together but they are worth it. I think they look way better than the original seats. Interior coming together. Little mor sanding on the body. Found the top portion of the engine. All painted up, ready to go.

20220913_123927.thumb.jpg.c60a5c175585e40c7aabbfe9c55c6ebd.jpg

I'm getting some mileage out of this can of Krylon. They call it pebble beige but l'm calling it sandalwood.  I've already done 3 interiors with it. It's a pretty good looking color for interiors. I need to pick up some more. Got the interior shot. With some carpet and detailing,  it should look nice.  Hit the inside of the body too.

20220913_171514.thumb.jpg.ec3c7a3e178912e103ab2de4f1de8161.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't make that factory grill work with this Revell model (even though Revell called it 1/25, I think it may actually be 1/24) I think someone tried to tell me that earlier. Now I'm starting over from scratch.  This is the AMT Foxy box kit. Believe it or not there is a good looking Chevy van in this kit. One of the things I liked about the Revell was its lift off roof so you could show off that great interior.  So I'm making this one a lof off also. Either I'm going to try to clean that roof piece up with styrene,, putty and tons of sanding, or or I'll just leave the top open. I did the initial cutout with a cutof wheel and fileing.  What I have so far.

20220924_194835.thumb.jpg.d21f83f6ffd56f2d63eab8b0d00cbf06.jpg