Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 378 Heavy Transport Inc.

Hi there,

some people may say we are crazy and they are right...Uwe (oldstyle) and me just started a new project.When he visited me last week we went to my haoobyroom and surfed through Hanks Truckpictures and found some nice trucks we wanted to build...

That´s the rig I decided to build:

file0040-vi.jpg

while uwe sets his eye on this one:

file0017-vi.jpg

both pictures are taken from Hanks Truckpictures.Always a great inspiration for truck-loving modelbuilders.

10 minutes after we found the pictures I pulled of two of the reissued Italeri Peterbilt 378 kits and we started planing the builds.I went back to the PC and drawed the decals for our trucks...It took me about an hour and the are ready for the first testprints on normal paper,cutted them out and put them on the cab and hood....

DSC_0002-vi.jpg

I shortened the frame about 1,2 inch,grabbed some of those Revell Candowrecker front wheels out of my partsbox and put some Italeri trailer tires on them.For the rear wheels we will use some KFS two-holes.I made a rack for the rear of the cab on my machine and have a rolling chassis after 4 days of work on it.

And here are some progress pics of my truck with the longer wheelbase:

DSC_0005-vi.jpg

DSC_0006-vi.jpg

DSC_0013-vi.jpg

DSC_0016-vi.jpg

DSC_18-vi.jpg

Paint will be Tamiya Camel Yellow for the Cab,Hood,Rack and rear wheels and semigloss black for the frame.Chrome will be painted with Alclad High polished aluminium.

Oldstyle will post pictures of his truck on this thread...He has also started with his shorter wheelbase truck ......

Thanks for looking,

Regards,Chris

Edited by Twist67

Hi Tim,

You know I always love to build Peterbilt models since years....You can do so much variations and those Italeri Kits are always nince to built...

Thanks for the compliments for the decals and stripes.I made several company logos before but never made some stripes.Don´t know why but it´s going nice.Have to wait how they will look when they are printed out on the decalpaper with my alps...If it works good it opens new possibilitys on making stripes on the models....

Regards,Chris

Hi there,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I made some little progress on the Pete.Made some wireing to the engine and made new stips for the fueltanks.The´re not finished,still some little work to do.

DSC_0029-vi.jpg

DSC_0030-vi.jpg

DSC_0031-vi.jpg

Next step is painting the engine and then glue all the wires and parts together and also some brake,fuel and airlines for the frame...

Thanks for looking,

Regards,Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks for the replys.

I made some progress to the Pete.

I painted the engine with Tamiya medium blue.It looks like the best choice for me and with some subtile weathering it will be looking okay for me.I´ll want to add some clearcoat later and also add a few details to it.

DSC_0063-vi.jpg

DSC_0064-vi.jpg

And I also started on the frame.I milled out some "fittings" and someother small parts.Here is what I´ve made so far.

DSC_0065-vi.jpg

DSC_0067-vi.jpg

DSC_0069-vi.jpg

The cab is prepared and will be get some paint later.Also the frame will be painted when I´ve finished the wires.

More progress will follow,soon.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,Chris

Chris,

Your work on your Pete looks execllent. Your Detriot Series 60 looks great too. However if you didn't know your oil pan is mounted backwards! Your truck has a set forward front axle, the "sump" as they call it, the deep part of the oil pan, should be torwards the rear of the truck. Your's is mounted for a set back front axle right now. They're mounted this way on the real trucks so the axle will avoid hitting the oilpan. Just wanted to help you out.

Keep up the great work.

Doug

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments.

Doug,didn´t know that.I glued the oilpan on the engine as it is showed in the plan...So this will be correct for the 377 and I have to turn it riund for the next 378 I´m building...But for this one it´s now glued and painted and I don´t change it for now...

Regards,Chris

Hi there,

thanks for the compliments.

I think the frame will be ready for paint this weekend as it´s the same for the cab,hood and rack.Have to print out the decals for the truck.

Last year I started with the plans for an lowboy trailer and when time allowed I milled some parts for that.I searched through the net for some plans and finally found some nice drawings on the site from Rogers Trailers http://www.rogerstrailers.com/trailers.php?&sn=5.It will be a 60 ton lowboy with dolly and removable tandem axle similar to this one : http://www.rogerstrailers.com/667-005/trailer_details.php

And here is what I have made on the trailer during the last months

DSC_0007-vi.jpg

The most difficult part was the airride suspensionbut finaly I´m ready with this...still have to build three of them together and have to complete them with brakes etc.but it´s going it´s way.

DSC_0009-vi.jpg

Next step is to draw the crossmembers of the rear part of the trailer and the taillight panel.

But the Pete is going to be finished long before the trailer will be ready ;)

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,Chris

Hi,

it´s me again.I made some progress to the Pete.The engine is finished.Pictures of the engine will foolow later.I also finished wireing the frame.Only have too add some fuel lines from the tanks to the engine.I also painted the frame in Duplicolor semigloss black and the cab,hood and rack in Tamiya camel yellow.I added the Decals to the cab and hood and now they have to dry for tomorrow.Made a short mockup how it looks now.

HTPete047-vi.jpg

HTPete049-vi.jpg

HTPete053-vi.jpg

HTPete054-vi.jpg

HTPete055-vi.jpg

Now I could start with the interior and all the other small parts.The tanks,grill,aircleaners etc.will be brushed with Allclad Polished Aluminium.At the end it will get an small washing and weathering...More progress will follow,soon.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,Chris

Your model is coming together great, as usual. The detail of the front steer rims is fantastic, but the inaccurate rear Italeri pseudo American real wheels detract from the model, in my opinion. Drilling out the hubs of the rear wheels and using more accurate American style hubs or using after market two wheels with accurate hubs would improve the over all appearance of the subject.

Hey Chris, where did you get those little acorn lug nuts (the screws) on your front wheels?

They look like the machined aluminum ones I use on my wheels.

Just wondering if the ones you have are less expensive?

The last time I had some made, they cost me .60 each.

Not too bad if just using them for masters but could get costly for a whole rig with trailer!

Hey Chris, where did you get those little acorn lug nuts (the screws) on your front wheels?

They look like the machined aluminum ones I use on my wheels.

Just wondering if the ones you have are less expensive?

The last time I had some made, they cost me .60 each.

Not too bad if just using them for masters but could get costly for a whole rig with trailer!

Ben, I don't know where Chris got his acorn nuts, but RB Motion is still in business and they still offer the same items they have always offered.