Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking to buy some Styrene

That's a loaded question as it's quite broad...............and there can be 1001 answers. :lol: I use anything from .020 to .050 thickness. It all depends on what I'm working on at the moment.

For bodywork, I don't like using something too thin as it can warp with time-------maybe a .040 thickness for certain things.

It's also a good idea to pick up plastic rods and strips in various sizes. Once again there is no one correct answer for size as it will depend on what you're building.

Hey Whit, like Bill says, aint no one correct answer to that one. I would say to judge by the thickness of the body, or frame, etc, that you'd be putting the new styrene on, as to what thickness to get and use. That's just a really general rule, and aint always right, but it could be a start for ya.

I'm building up a 'Weird-Ohs' type VW drag pickup (SKWIRLY 2) out of a toy VW I got at the Goodwill, and I'm doin a lot of scratchbuilding on it, using 'styrene' (or 'plastic' from a couple different sources)

If'n ya goes to my thread on my "SKWIRLY 2" build at this link:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...40&start=40

I'm using 'styrene' from a Rubbermaid drawer partitioning box, and it's a nice thick plastic (styrene)--a full 1/16" thick. I also used a 'For Rent' sign I got at my local hardware store for like $00.79. It is pretty thin, and like Bill said it can warp. I used it to tub the rear of SKWIRLY 2 and the glue pretty much melted it in places. While I was shopping for the 'styrene' at the local hardware store, I also got a larger

'For Sale' sign, which is thicker than the 'for rent' sign. Haven't used it yet, but don't see any problem with it. I've used stuff like this before with no problems. Reason I am using the 'signs' at the moment is that I haven't been able to get to my local hobby store, but when I do go there I do like Bill says and get me a bunch of sheet (usually .040") and some round stuff, some angle iron, etc.

Tha's the other reason I didn't make it to the LHS---coz I spend way too much money there on more models!!!

Do like I do.....Every visit to the hobby shop I buy a little something I don't have as far as styrene goes. Of course at my age, I have about everything... :unsure: It's amazing though, that no matter what kind of build you have going, if you have a large selection of sheet, rod, tubing, and other shapes, and all in different sizes, all the really cool things that you come up with. I also keep almost all types of brass & aluminum rod, tubing, and sheets. You'll find endless possibilities.

I would concur with Bill and John, it seems 040" is about the best for general fabricating. Thinner stuff tends to be too flimsy(I use Evergreen) But I have a veriety of thicknesses for various things.

If you get into large unsupported panels like a building wall or camper shell the thicker sheets are better.