Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Scamp

Guys, one of the things I want to do is to create a replica of most, if not all of the cars I've owned in my lifetime. One that I'm really interested in at the moment is my 72 Scamp. I know there are Dusters and Darts and Demons around, and I know of one Scamp in resin (Bandit Resin I think) but no one answers emails from that site. Gone? What kits would be the best donors to get the nose and rear sections from while remaining somewhat cost effective? Here's the car I want to replicate. It had a 360 in it and the rare-ish high back split bench seat. A car I should have never sold...

P1030662 (Large).JPG

P1030663 (Large).JPG

With some cobbling, you could:

1.) Start with the Revell 1968 Dart (body, frame/suspension, engine compartment)

2.) Front clip from the AMT 1971 Duster 340

3.) Rear bumper/quarter panel extension from the MPC 1970 Dart (an 'exhibition' car; nowhere close to stock)

4.) Dash -at least the instrument panel- from the MPC 1975/1976 Dart Sport (mix & match with the Revell dash)

5.) 340 engine from the aforementioned '71 Duster 340

6.) Torqueflite from the Revell Dart big block or the AMT 1971 Charger R/T 440

Not sure how detailed you want to get with upholstery patterns -- you'll have to scratch build -at least partially- the front seat. the rearmost section of the trunk lid will need to be partly scratched. The hood scoop is available in resin (Hart's Parts, IIRC), as is a bench seat for the AMT '71 Duster 340. Stock -non-Sharktooth- grille is also available in resin (also from Hart's).

I hope that this is of some help.

15 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

Nice car when you are done I expect but the high back bench seat was the base seat in the base Scamp..Optional seat was split with center armrest in deluxe interior..Sold those in the day..

Thanks for that info, did not know that. I do know I had to pay extra for the high back upholstery from whoever I bought it from at the time.  I had a Dart parts car that had the center arm rest seat. Maybe I should have swapped it out.

1 hour ago, redscampi said:

Thanks for that info, did not know that. I do know I had to pay extra for the high back upholstery from whoever I bought it from at the time.  I had a Dart parts car that had the center arm rest seat. Maybe I should have swapped it out.

Here's an invaluable resource for factory literature and publications regarding Chrysler products: The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1972 Plymouth Color & Trim Book - Valiant-Duster (hamtramck-historical.com)

17 minutes ago, Mopar maniac 74 said:

I just ordered a scamp from bandit a couple months ago.  Couldn't get an e mail either so called him. He called back had 1 in stock I sent him a check and 10 days later had a scamp.  It is a nice body and fits the revell dart kit well.  

IIRC, that Scamp is based upon the Revell 1969 Dart GTS. I seem to recall that the Bandit Scamp has 1972 "universal" side markers on the rear (1971 markers on the front fenders).

I'm sure that you're already aware of this, but the 1971-1973 Scamp and Valiant used the rear bumper and tail lamps from the 1970 Dart. The difference is the 1971 & later "Plymouth" bumper has slots for the bumper jack (and the battering ram bumper guards for 1973). In other words, the MPC 1970 Dart F/C bumper, etc., could be used on your Scamp build (no one will notice the lack of bumper jack slots).

**[EDIT]**
Here's a built-up of the Bandit 1971 Scamp (see link). Apparently, those rear side markers are correct for 1970-1971. I stand corrected.

Bandit Resin - Gallery - 1/25 Scale Resin Parts and Accessories for Model Cars and Trucks (banditresins.com)

Edited by 1972coronet

46 minutes ago, Mopar maniac 74 said:

I just ordered a scamp from bandit a couple months ago.  Couldn't get an e mail either so called him. He called back had 1 in stock I sent him a check and 10 days later had a scamp.  It is a nice body and fits the revell dart kit well.  

Interesting information. I guess I can call him. Not very interested in sending a check. I'm very used to and comfortable with the modern way of commerce and I've not written a check for months, if not years. Seems downright primitiv

Do you have any idea about the quality of this casting? I'd rather rework good styrene kits than deal with an expensive, poorly cast resin one. Also would still need to purchase kits for the underpinnings, etc.

Edited by redscampi

31 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

IIRC, that Scamp is based upon the Revell 1969 Dart GTS. I seem to recall that the Bandit Scamp has 1972 "universal" side markers on the rear (1971 markers on the front fenders).

I'm sure that you're already aware of this, but the 1971-1973 Scamp and Valiant used the rear bumper and tail lamps from the 1970 Dart. The difference is the 1971 & later "Plymouth" bumper has slots for the bumper jack (and the battering ram bumper guards for 1973). In other words, the MPC 1970 Dart F/C bumper, etc., could be used on your Scamp build (no one will notice the lack of bumper jack slots).

Thank you for the link and additional information. I suppose one could crate jacking slots in the bumper if so inclined.

Back to the bandit he basically made the body for the revell dart kit.  Including the lowered antenna on fender and molded for dart door handles and wipers.  Revell Glass fit perfectly.  Grill is molded for revell headlights.  Tail lights included.

The roof underside has  detailed headliner. The lines are clean the fender wells are the same as the dart kit and it all fit nicely.

It was $65.00 plus 13 for shipping.  I thought it was good mold compared to others I have ordered so your call which way you want to go.

Any more questions let me know.

Enjoy your build.

• Like 1