Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth K-123 cabover - a likeness of Wil's truck from "In Tandem" episode

Working on this KW cabover to be built into a "likeness" (note -- not replica) of Wil's truck from the Movin' On pilot episode "In Tandem".

I say "likeness" because I'm sure there is a lot in the AMT kit that isn't a "replica" of Wil's rig in that episode.  Close is good enough for me !   I'm not sure I have the skills to convert it to a single exhaust version for example.  Maybe it's easier than I think -- very open to suggestions and help !  

kw.jpg

• Like 1

Single exhaust is actually pretty simple - Ive taken the kit dual and cut off the offending pipe at the split and used a sanding stick to make it flow into the remaining pipe. (wish I had a picture)   You can also use solder wire  to build your on piping  coming off the turbo  to the stack, or use bendy straw elbows and kit pieces of pipe for exhaust piping configurations.   Practice and test fit to where you get something that looks good and doesn't interfere with other parts.

I'm sure whatever you decide will look great!

57 minutes ago, Old Buckaroo said:

Single exhaust is actually pretty simple - Ive taken the kit dual and cut off the offending pipe at the split and used a sanding stick to make it flow into the remaining pipe. (wish I had a picture)   You can also use solder wire  to build your on piping  coming off the turbo  to the stack, or use bendy straw elbows and kit pieces of pipe for exhaust piping configurations.   Practice and test fit to where you get something that looks good and doesn't interfere with other parts.

I'm sure whatever you decide will look great!

Thanks for the advice !

Yeah I did think about trying to whack off the "Y" on the exhaust pipe.  Just wasn't sure how well it would clean up.  

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done over the weekend.  After some guidance from some knowledgeable K100 people, I worked on modifying the front pair of fuel tank "J" brackets to remove the bracket at the bottom since the support brace would be between the rear pair of brackets and not the front.  The front pair would not have that angle bracket at the bottom on them -- only the rear ones would.  

318638062_1138728950337729_6175038750622461061_n.jpg

318784020_1629219020835236_453316768705194911_n (2).jpg

318737843_1629219197501885_5431764073159139281_n.jpg

• Like 2

Looking ahead at the cab.

Wil's truck in the "In Tandem" pilot episode had that odd "J step" option in the attached image.  It's hard to see in the TV video on YouTube, but you can see it when he gets out of the truck at the truck stop.  The AMT kit has the "First cab access package" so I'll need to make the "J step" option by hand.

Note:  Image attached is courtesy David Eichelbaum from his ATHS webinar "Evolution of a Legend: The Kenworth K100, 1963-1984".

2022-12-19_08-40-58.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting stuff, I always wondered when the dual rail steps came out, certainly didn't think it was as early as 1971! The research is half of the hobby for me, I love the minuteae of it all.

I've always liked the look of that truck as does the sharp right out of the junction and starts climbing the hill in the opening credits. 

8 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Interesting stuff, I always wondered when the dual rail steps came out, certainly didn't think it was as early as 1971! The research is half of the hobby for me, I love the minuteae of it all.

I've always liked the look of that truck as does the sharp right out of the junction and starts climbing the hill in the opening credits. 

Agreed!

Building the kit is just half of the enjoyment for me -- I love digging around and doing the research on the model.  There are so many "issues" with the AMT truck kits that you learn if you look at how the 1:1 truck was actually built.

The July 2018 issue of Wheels of Time has an excellent article about the K100's (also written by David Eichelbaum).    

WOT-39.4-2.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 5:42 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Building the kit is just half of the enjoyment for me -- I love digging around and doing the research on the model. 

I agree with you, doing research on what you want to build is part of the fun.

• 9 months later...