Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Hayes hood.

8 minutes ago, James Maynard said:

I'm getting a Hayes hood soon. I was just wondering what cab to use with it. It's damaged and not complete. The cab is with it but not really usable. I heard it will work with the AMT Western Star cab which is my plan. Also there is no grill. What would make a good grill?

This is the hood and cab.

received_699985408119749.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Might be able to strip the paint off with oven cleaner and start fresh. Looks like the last owner didn't clean off the mold release before painting.

It's going in the purple pond. It'll probably  have to be sanded too. The hood is all I'll be using. That cab doesn't fit.

2 minutes ago, James Maynard said:

It's going in the purple pond. It'll probably  have to be sanded too. The hood is all I'll be using. That cab doesn't fit.

I wouldn't do that. A lot of resins turn to goo in almost anything you'd leave it in for stripping.

Just about the only really safe way to strip resin is with lacquer stripper and cotton balls. Just wet the cotton with the thinner and wipe the old paint off.

1 hour ago, James Maynard said:

TAKE IT OUT OF THE PURPLE POWER A.S.A.P!

And rinse it thoroughly,  P/P will ruin the resin.

Easy Off is the only cleaner that I know that won't ruin resin.

22 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I wouldn't do that. A lot of resins turn to goo in almost anything you'd leave it in for stripping.

Just about the only really safe way to strip resin is with lacquer stripper and cotton balls. Just wet the cotton with the thinner and wipe the old paint off.

Thanks for the heads up. Don't worry it's not in there yet. I don't even have it yet, should be here tomorrow. I'm glad I checked here first before I made a bad mistake though.

21 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

TAKE IT OUT OF THE PURPLE POWER A.S.A.P!

And rinse it thoroughly,  P/P will ruin the resin.

Easy Off is the only cleaner that I know that won't ruin resin.

It's not in there yet, I don't even have it yet should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the warning though. 

3 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Could be I left the part in it longer. 

Plus, I use the stuff in the squeeze pump bottle. It's thicker, almost like a jell so maybe it's stronger too?

Ahh I see, I've only used the aerosol can and I haven't left it soak too long (overnight) so maybe there is a difference. 

1 hour ago, James Maynard said:

So no the AMT Western Star cab will not work with the Resin Hayes hood. But on the bright side the Hayes cab is not cracked. It was just a bad crack in the paint. I've been sanding on the hood and the cab and well here they are now.

IMG_20221210_213540.jpg

I like the way it looks weathered and rusty right now, but that's just me!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I like the way it looks weathered and rusty right now, but that's just me!

You think so too? You're the second person to tell me it looks good like that. And I agree with both of you. The plan all along was to have it look tired and weathered. I may just leave it like this.