Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mounting tires on rear wheels on the 1/25 Revell Peterbilt 359 and Kenworth W900 Aerodyne snap kits

Force

I see now and then people who hasn't followed or even read the instructions on how to mount the tires on the rear wheels on the Revell Peterbilt 359 and Kenworth W900 Aerodyne snap kits.
If you do it wrong it looks horrible and if you do it right it looks a lot better...not perfect as these wheels are way too shallow to be realistic...but it is what it is.
Here is how you are supposed to do it, the wheel rim goes inside the tire so the outermost lip on the rim is inside the tire, so the rims are not only pushed through the tire like on most of the kits, if you do the outermost lip on the rim shows and it shouldn't.

Here is a blown up picture from the instructions on how to do it.

2010992697_WheelmountRevellSnap.jpg.770dfeaec98738c757cef8a426f68ab1.jpg

And here is how it should look if you have done it right.

20221123_154727.jpg.0007be44a0d2dbda26d755e6be5455cfb.jpg.c8e6c522a172acf1f9f4579ba66d4d91.jpg

And if it looks like this you have done it wrong.

20220120_183307.jpg.da1bccff3a904ce1758eebdd79d5ad2ab.jpg.9fb42a38d7a8723bc3eb870c3ca7e5b8.jpg

The right way looks a lot better, doesn't it.
Easy as pie.

The pictures are not mine except for the blown up instruction picture, the others are borrowed from a couple of threads on this forum.

Edited by Force

• Force changed the title to Mounting tires on rear wheels on the 1/25 Revell Peterbilt 359 and Kenworth W900 Aerodyne snap kits
  • 3 months later...

Revell's big-rig tires, even done right, are Horrible IMO. They're even using this garbage tire system on some of their car models as well, or did? I'm not sure if the mid-20-teens Camaro kits (pre-painted), I have these on, were made by the now defunct USA branch or what?

I know they're helping Moebius Models sell plenty of their aftermarket big-rig tire kits (I've bought several)! This has made me question if Revell owns Moebius??

Whatever the case, I wish Revell would STOP this!!!

Thanks, For the Tip. Hakan!

I've seen the tires done wrong, but Did not know how to explain the fix.

Ken & Dave are correct, it is a Very Poor System. But, Revell will never spend the time or money to fix it, so just have to live with it.

Well it was not Revell who came up with this system, these kits were originally Monogram like the large scale 1:16 Kenworths and Peterbilts from back in the early 80's and before the Revel-Monogram merge 1986.
But I agree, these wheels stinks even if they are done right and should be replaced with something else that looks a lot better as these are too shallow and toylike.
The problem I see with the Moebius wheels are that they look way too modern for this era trucks, but if you like using them it's fine by me.
I would rather like to use older style 24½ inch Alcoas...or even a set of 22 inch split ring Alcoa wheels, instead of the newer style 22½ inch wheels, but that's me.

Edited by Force