Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making Decals

Clay

Yes you can...but the decal paper should match the type of copier/printer you are using, either InkJet or Laser.

After printing you will need to spray a clear coat o'er the paper, Testors has an spray for their paper, but I've found that any "clear" spray will work...

When the clear has dried you will end up with one big decal, so each decal/image, etc will have to be cut out individually...get a really nice set of small scissors for this task

If the decal you are trying to reproduce has any white in it, you're SOL :lol: ...need to get an ALPS printer for that and they don't make those any more!

Good luck... :lol:

cr

As Curt said, you can use a copy machine. As far as I know most would use the laser printer decal paper. I used to work with a guy who made his decals that way. He would print his decal designs on his inkjet printer then use the copy machine at work to print the decals onto decal paper. I'm not really sure why he used the copy machine instead of his printer, but it worked. However you are unlikely to find a Kinkos copy or similar that will let you put "strange" paper into their machines so that could be a problem.

If the decal you are trying to reproduce has any white in it, you're SOL :lol: ...need to get an ALPS printer for that and they don't make those any more!

Good luck... :lol:

cr

Actually they do, they just don't sell the ALPS in the US anymore.

There is a guy in New Zealand who can still get new printers from Japan. They are not cheap, but not a lot more than people were paying for used ones on ebay.

http://www.alps-supplies.com/

You can use white decal paper or paint white under the decal if you don't have an ALPS but that is definately not as simple, and willl not work in all cases.

Edited by Aaronw

if you oversize your decal and reduce it on a copy machine to the proper size you will produce a more crisp image. I try to do this whenever possible for artwork in black and white. I have not tried it in color, but it makes sense that it should work as well. Note that this technique works well when producing photoetch artwork as well.

Pete