Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Willys Pickup-Plans for a kitbash

I've been working on the AMT 1941 Willys Pickup gasser when I noticed a problem during assembling the chassis. The frame itself twisted in the center. I haven't gotten to the body or Interior but I checked them over and they're still okay. I'm going to save those for a future kitbashing project. One of the ideas I have is converting it into an oval racer style. I don't plan on putting a NASCAR chassis underneath. I've looked in the model section at Hobby Lobby and noticed the '34(?) modified and a couple of cars from the Super Stocker series. Would either of these be good candidates? I know some work will be involved and I plan to have the scale equivalent of a Sawzall, welder, and grinder ready.🙂

The MPC Super Stocker series kits all use one chassis, definitely an oval track design.  All have 180 degree headers that are routed through the body of the car.  Not really a good choice for anything but an oval track car.

The earlier cars ('34 Ford, '36 Chevy) also use a single chassis, in this case '55-'57 Chevy.  Might be too wide in the area of the Willys' firewall, and again there will be a definite oval track influence in the finished build.

One to take a look at, if you have one laying around...MPC flip-front '57 Chevy.  Their flip-front '53 Ford pickup used the same chassis.

It would need to be shortened, but it looks a lot like a lengthened version of the Willys frame.  As with any frame swap involving the Willys, getting the tilt front end to fit and work correctly will take some doing.