Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford W Series cab 3D printed. Interested?

On 1/20/2023 at 8:37 PM, Oldmopars said:

If I were to do this one, it would only be a section that fits under the AMT C600 cab. To do the whole cab would be too difficult to get right and a waste of time because AMT already made the cab and it is really good.

The C600 cab would need to be modified. If you don't, the H specific part will not have the correct proportions. 

Just now, Repstock said:

The C600 cab would need to be modified. If you don't, the H specific part will not have the correct proportions. 

As this is a project I am interested in doing in the future,  anything more specific that you can share would help. I want to invest my time wisely and create something that is correct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Repstock said:

The FORD lettering seems a bit off, and to a lesser degree the cut-ins for the turn signals. Outside of that, she looks ready to roll!

BTW, if you could give more details about what if off with the letters, it will help me fix them. I know the R looks strange, but I copied it as best I could from pictures,  but sometimes the angle is not good.

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

BTW, if you could give more details about what if off with the letters, it will help me fix them. I know the R looks strange, but I copied it as best I could from pictures,  but sometimes the angle is not good.

I used to have tons of pics of a WT1000 in a nearby junkyard, but that computer crashed, and all was lost. Now the truck is gone. Maybe this will help? Letters need to be bulkier.Ford%2B55025H%2B1.JPGPicture 2 of 4

Edited by Repstock

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

As this is a project I am interested in doing in the future,  anything more specific that you can share would help. I want to invest my time wisely and create something that is correct. 

I can help you with this when the time comes.

By the way, on the W(T)1000 there is a slight "vee" to the windshield halves. They are not flat.image.png.b809c5e374bde3f1266b6a783992409c.png

So, it does not really show, but the windshield on my model is angled, I did know that from the start. I also corrected the turn signal recesses and adjusted the letters some. I hope they all look better.  

2023-01-27 12_48_21-Start.jpg

2023-01-27 12_48_46-Start.jpg

2023-01-27 12_49_39-Start.jpg

15 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Oh I know somebody who could probably print this pretty good if you were to share it with that said person I'm not saying you're not sharing with me I'm just saying I'm pretty sure I know someone who would print this in good quality

Oh, don't worry,  it's on the way. I just need to print one this weekend and make sure the interior will slide up in as I hope I designed it to do. 

On 1/27/2023 at 3:53 PM, Oldmopars said:

So, it does not really show, but the windshield on my model is angled, I did know that from the start. I also corrected the turn signal recesses and adjusted the letters some. I hope they all look better.  

2023-01-27 12_48_21-Start.jpg

2023-01-27 12_48_46-Start.jpg

2023-01-27 12_49_39-Start.jpg

It may be too late, but if you thicken up the vertical part of the "F", I'd say there's no more to add.

I have gone back and fixed the panel lines. Those are something that is hard to know how they will look until you print it. On the computer they are well defined,  but printed, they are not as deep and clear, so that is fixed. I also added a removable support to keep the opening at the bottom of the grill from spreading as it cures.

The GMC cab is there for scale. 

Looks like I can build mine,now. Those who wanted my master cast can now (soon) purchase yours. Nice to see this void filled.

I love your scratch built one. I looked at it many times and used it for inspiration. While I am sure that we both spent many more hours than we would like to admit to in creating these trucks, I am much better working in a digital media. With styrene I can get one side to look good, but then getting the other side to match is a real challenge for me. However, in the software there is a mirror function, so I just have to get one side right and the other side is always a perfect match. 

It is also nice to be able to print one, and if it is not right, just fix the issues and print another. Making copies is also faster. 

I have a huge amount of respect for anyone that can scratch build something of the caliber that you have done. I fully understand the work and challenges that go into it. I have done scratch building, but most of the time it is parts, not a complete body. 

My photo booth is not big enough for something like this but this is where it stands right now for me got a few things to work on either I'll fix it Scott will fix it I actually do know how to model I just don't have time and I'm not as good as Scott I won't argue that but most everything came out pretty well I'm going to probably change the way I orient the body to get rid of the fuel lines that I see on mine but other than that the seats came out good most everything looks great The problem's going to be I need to figure a way to make this cost effective for you and for me

20230202_132732.jpg

20230202_133147.jpg

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs

46 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

You got to think of it as going from one person's hard-earn cash to another person's hard-earned cash better than the government right course they're going to get their cut

Well, there is that about the taxes.