Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 3/11/2023 at 11:20 PM, doggie427 said:

Tony have you thought of taking it to the IPMS show at the CWHM (HeritageCon)?

Last Sunday in March.

Didn't know there was one! I think I am free that weekend. wonder if I can get a base built and my Econoline project done in time. HMMMMMMMM

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rarely critical Tony, but I care about this piece; your expert execution, knowledge of the subject and thorough research. But I think the base cheapens your effort. The visceral impression is the model was set down on the kitchen table and my eye sort of fills in the peripheral with the rest of the table top. That said, I totally understand your reasoning.

If it was mine, and didn't want to do a diorama base, I would consider maybe a piece of vintage wood with some oil and grunge, possibly a piece of dull aluminum, or a board wrapped in plain Army canvas. Anything that could be sympathetic to the visuals or the era.

Just my 2-cents my friend.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

I'm rarely critical Tony, but I care about this piece; your expert execution, knowledge of the subject and thorough research. But I think the base cheapens your effort. The visceral impression is the model was set down on the kitchen table and my eye sort of fills in the peripheral with the rest of the table top. That said, I totally understand your reasoning.

If it was mine, and didn't want to do a diorama base, I would consider maybe a piece of vintage wood with some oil and grunge, possibly a piece of dull aluminum, or a board wrapped in plain Army canvas. Anything that could be sympathetic to the visuals or the era.

Just my 2-cents my friend.

Oh this is why I am asking for opinions and want all the 2 cents I can get! I have struggled with this. I am not against doing a diorama base but am afraid it will take away from the model itself that is why I went plain. I can see what you mean though as the wood is TOO nice for the subject. I would like to keep the pictures in the foreground as they give context that it isn't just some smashed up plane. The canvas may work nicely. I think I have an old grey army poncho around here. Need to avoid green at all costs. 

• Like 1

This is simply amazing. Love the historical recreation. There is nothing critical I could say, but I will say that regarding the display, my first thought before I saw it was that it would be sitting on a simple grass/mud surface. Really doesn't matter, that is amazing work.