Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1978 Pontiac Trans Am

ismaelg

Hello,

Sometimes in life, weird things cross your path and you take an unplanned detour.  So I was browsing thru boxes of old stuff and found lots of old models, parts, stalled projects and more from my youth. Some of those are well over 40 years old! I'll take some pics and provide longer explanations on some of those later.  But this one, somehow jumped out of the box into the workbench! It's been in that box for probably over 30 years!
2v2eQowtyxJ21ND.jpg

It's a 1978 Monogram Snap-Tite Pontiac Trans Am. It was loose but I was able to find all the parts but the decals and box, which I don't recall ever existing. 
The catch? This model is 1/32 scale!
You may not know it but as a kid and teenager, I was a huge Trans Am lover as well as Corvettes.  
This is a very simple and rather crude kit with less than 20 parts.  
I want to see if I can do a simple project.  I said simple, not necessarily quick.

2v2eQowsGxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eQow4yxJ21ND.jpg

As much as I love it, I'll resist the urge to make this a Bandit. 

Worked some mold lines, a light sanding (it seems it had a very light coat of red spray can paint) and first coat of primer reveals some mold lines that still need attention.
2v2eQ9ZYVxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

Just having some fun with this. Nothing serious.
Not fixed in place yet but you get the idea. Mirror imaging wire was a fun exercise.
2v2eQ7YthxJ21ND.jpg

But, La Piece de Resistance so far!

2v2eQ7YsWxJ21ND.jpg

Added passenger grab bar, key cylinder on the steering column, turn signal lever, manual shifter, power windows controls (below shifter), classis 6x9 speakers and floor mats made out of sand paper.  Hand painting the 1/32 dash was another fun exercise. 

However, not everything is going smooth. Upon inspection I found the glass has some rather serious damage. Will try to save it but it will be an uphill battle. 

Thanks,
Ismael

Edited by ismaelg
  • Like 1