Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 BRGB Movin' On Kenworth

Thanks Hakan, your comments are always informative and appreciated. I didn't want to sand  down the bump around the lug nuts because I would end up losing the chrome plating. I realize the wheels are really supposed to be polished aluminum, not chrome, but polished aluminum looks pretty shiny when they are brand new and clean. Your right the lock rings are too thick on the wheels I'm using. First photo shows the original WF ring on left. I decided to sand them down to get them closer to the wheels, thanks for the tip. It does look better.

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Thanks Hakan, your comments are always informative and appreciated. I didn't want to sand  down the bump around the lug nuts because I would end up losing the chrome plating. I realize the wheels are really supposed to be polished aluminum, not chrome, but polished aluminum looks pretty shiny when they are brand new and clean. Your right the lock rings are too thick on the wheels I'm using. First photo shows the original WF ring on left. I decided to sand them down to get them closer to the wheels, thanks for the tip. It does look better.

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

I try to help out when I can so you are welcome.
Yes you are right about that, the wheels are polished aluminum but they look real close to chrome when they are newly polished and clean as you say.
The lock rings on these wheels are steel and often just painted silver or any other color, but on the Movin' On trucks the lock rings look to be chromed and shiny.

It looks a lot better with the ring further in doesn't it.
As I'm planning to do a Movin' On build myself and I want my model to look as close as I can possibly get it, so I was thinking of using the Freightliner wheels myself as they are pretty much what's available to us in that size, and I have thought about this and tried to figure out a solution to the problems with these wheels because I have allways thought they didn't look quite right...and I think I'm on the right way here, I can allways paint the wheels with Molotow Liquid Chrome to get them shiny after the modifications...we'll see how it goes when I come to that point...I either crash and burn or succeed. 😉

Edited by Force

22 hours ago, Force said:

... the raised part where the lugnuts are shouldn't be there as that part of the wheel is not raised on the real wheels. ......

For a few moments, I thought the wheels out of the old AMT Pete 359 or Pete cabover might be the answer, bit potentially a bit too small in diameter. But when I looked close at the wheels in my ancient IH 4070A that I put the Pete cabover wheels on, that raised lugnut circle was there, just not as prominent as the Freightliner ones. Did a quick search for the AMT Autocar tractor that had the 5 hole front wheels - same raised lugnut circle area.

Haven't paid a lot of attention to the aftermarket turned aluminum wheels market, I wonder if someone makes the proper set, or has made them in the past.

14 minutes ago, Russell C said:

For a few moments, I thought the wheels out of the old AMT Pete 359 or Pete cabover might be the answer, bit potentially a bit too small in diameter. But when I looked close at the wheels in my ancient IH 4070A that I put the Pete cabover wheels on, that raised lugnut circle was there, just not as prominent as the Freightliner ones. Did a quick search for the AMT Autocar tractor that had the 5 hole front wheels - same raised lugnut circle area.

Haven't paid a lot of attention to the aftermarket turned aluminum wheels market, I wonder if someone makes the proper set, or has made them in the past.

Yes most wheels from AMT are too small in diameter as they are 20 inch wheels, and this raised circle are on all AMT tube type wheels and should not be there.
The Freightliner wheels and the wheels from a few others are 22 inch.
I have only seen some aluminum wheels with the right look and they were from Keystone Aluminum Model Miniatures, but they are 5 hole and they are not in bsiness anymore.
A member here, Ben Wicker, also had some 10 hole wheels made up for him, I don't know the size but they also had the right look to them.

16 hours ago, Russell C said:

I  purchased some 5 hole and 10 hole aluminum Alcoas from keystone when they were first offered, there 10 hole wheel did have a ring around the lug nuts, which is correct I believe for one piece wheels. Their 5 hole version had no ring around the lug nuts which I assume is a lock ring type wheel. I don't believe keystone  ever offered an aluminum 10 hole lock ring type wheel in 20" or 22".

IMG_2585.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
  • Thanks 1

Keystone offered the 5 hole Alcoas in 2 sizes but they weren't marked as 20 and 22 inches, but they fit the AMT 20 inch and 22 inch tires, and they are tube style lock ring wheels but the ring is part of the machined wheel, I have both sizes..
The 10 hole wheel they had are most likely 22½ or 24½ and are one piece tubeless style wheels.

Blake, the wheels you got from Ben are as you say most likely a limited run and he showed them to me in a conversation, they have the outer ring separate wich Keystone's later wheels did not have, they also did not offer the 10 hole version of the lock ring tube style wheels, just tubeless style for the 10 hole and tube style for the 5 hole.
If you cas them, will you offer them for sale and are they 20 inch or 22 inch wheels?

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:43 PM, Needlenosehunter said:

I have both 20 and 22 I’m doing, i would definitely offer them for sale👍

I'm very interested in a few for my upcoming builds, so please let me know. 😎

Frame components added. More kit bashing, chrome splash guard fenders, pogo stick and taillights from AMT kit, gull wing front bumper, deck plate and  rear mud flaps from Revell.  Added Per Lux lights to front bumper per season 2 truck (in reality dark louvers over lights), season 1 truck had clear lights in front bumper.

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Tommy.
The 1974 trucks did not have diamont tuft inserts in the headliner but the 1975 trucks did in opposite colors to the rest of the interior so it right.

By the way, did you see my PM with the license plates?

2 hours ago, cifenet said:

I do like this VIT treatment! 

I do wonder though, there is always some risk from the truckers (or any mechanics) touching the "upholstery" with oily fingers. ;)

Yeah, light beige does not hide anything. 😁

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching an episode of Movin'On the other day and I noticed something I've never seen before. The mudflaps used to come and go throughout each episode but in the episode 'Fraud', they uncoupled from the trailer (that was so obviously going to suffer some disaster because it was old and white, not their usual silver Fruehauf box), and the mudflaps were stowed behind the fuel tanks in a similar way to how they'd be at the rear of the chassis. They must have added extra brackets so that they could just pick them out of the rear ones and move them forward, otherwise they'd probably get lost. 

I'm not saying that you need to do this, I'm just expressing how unbelievably boring I can be. 

Screenshot_20230711-104151~2.png

Edited by Rockford
Added pic

21 hours ago, Rockford said:

I was watching an episode of Movin'On the other day and I noticed something I've never seen before. The mudflaps used to come and go throughout each episode but in the episode 'Fraud', they uncoupled from the trailer (that was so obviously going to suffer some disaster because it was old and white, not their usual silver Fruehauf box), and the mudflaps were stowed behind the fuel tanks in a similar way to how they'd be at the rear of the chassis. They must have added extra brackets so that they could just pick them out of the rear ones and move them forward, otherwise they'd probably get lost. 

I'm not saying that you need to do this, I'm just expressing how unbelievably boring I can be. 

Screenshot_20230711-104151~2.png

I have noticed this too when I studied the TV series for details, they often take off the mud flaps when they are pulling a trailer, not allways but often, and they are hanged behind the fuel tanks as in your picture wich are one of the season 1 trucks.
They are also often taken off in season 2 but I don't know where they stowed them then, it was a while ago since I watched that season but I don't remember seeing any mudflaps behind the fuel tanks like in season 1, so they must have stowed them elsewhere and it doesn't look like there are any brackets there on the frame either.

These pictures are from season 2.

81984864_3593238280716897_4039874731430641664_n.jpg.4746524cc4f4e4f69ca67fb5284e2da8.jpg

12028666_970689716306646_6193862718325856657_o.jpg.54c9abd1554be9abf1244d0833689993.jpg

The brackets for the mud flap hangers are just a piece of square tubing welded to a flat piece bolted to the frame rail and the mud flap hangers are made from square stock and the ends are angeled downwards, easy to take off. 

2-Coils-Black-Steel-Straight-Mud-Flap-Hanger-Brackets.jpg.3521c63d5b893f944acb3cb32432ebe5.jpg

You've put together just the right mix of parts to capture the 'look' of the actual truck. It sits right, the wheels and tyres go well, really well done. I can almost hear Sonny moaning at Will "I've gotta make the payments on my truck!"

Edited by Rockford
Text corrected
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rockford said:

You've put together just the right mix of parts to capture the 'look' of the actual truck. 

Thanks! The original AMT Movin' On kit box art is really misleading, the build really requires a multitude of kits to come close, luckily, they are all readily available.

• Like 1