Model Cars Magazine Forum

UP-TOP for 1968 Coronet Convertible

4 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

It would appear that the Plymouth version is different from the Dodge version -- design change (1968 v. 1969) ? I'll have to research it.

Looks like the difference is in the bottom edge of the top where it hits the tulip panel.  I've heard that the shape of the tulip panel front edge in inaccurate on both the MPC Coronet and AMT '69 GTX.   It follows the wavy line of the ht window opening, but the 1:1 is different?   Never studied a '68-70 B-body convertible up close..

Edited by Rob Hall

7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Looks like the difference is in the bottom edge of the top where it hits the tulip panel.  I've heard that the shape of the tulip panel front edge in inaccurate on both the MPC Coronet and AMT '69 GTX.   It follows the wavy line of the ht window opening, but the 1:1 is different?   Never studied a '68-70 B-body convertible up close..

Here's a 1968 R/T convertible. Evidence presents the top's tulip panel 'edge' is 'straight' with the top up; markedly different from the Coronet-specific 3D printed top, but exactly like the 3D top for the AMT 1969 GTX:

1968 Dodge Coronet R/T Convertible | F221 | Kissimmee 2019 (mecum.com)

Curiosity got me.  In kit form the 69 gtx conv is much straighter than the hardtop.  I set the new coronet conv kit next to them and it has the same curve as the gtx hardtop.  So if 3d scale used the kits the tops for the 69 gtx and 68 coronet would be different.  Also if you were to chop the top of a 69gtx hardtop I think you would need the coronet soft top.

This is my 68 Coronet convertible with the original top (yes green was available). 

The top has pulled a little as it shrunk but you can see the side profile pretty clearly. The side window opening is mostly straight lines. Nothing like the 68-70 2drHT side window opening design.

The 68-70 B-body convertibles use the same side glass, windshield frame, and top mechanism from the 66-67 B-body convertibles. The wagons also carried over the 66-67 greenhouse design for 68-70 but the couples and sedans got new shorter roof designs for 68-70.

Top Shape.jpg

• Thanks 1