Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yes, that is one of the great things about 2k clear. It is not a lacquer, it is not an acrylic, and you can shoot it over nearly anything.

Just apply 2-3 very light coats first. 5 minutes between each coat. Then you can apply 1 or 2 wet coats for a smooth, glossy finish.

In my experience, the few times I tired clearing Tamiya TS paints with 2k clear, the clear did not stick to the paint , Tamiya masking taped was able to pull it off.   But yes, in theory,  2k clear should not harm decals.

Edited by martinfan5

15 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

In my experience, the few times I tired clearing Tamiya TS paints with 2k clear, the clear did not stick to the paint , Tamiya masking taped was able to pull it off.   But yes, in theory,  2k clear should not harm decals.

2k clear is like that with any paint. It is a coating and it doesn't bond as well as paint.

If you detack your masking tape so it is not as sticky you can avoid this.  I have a funny trick. I stick the tape to my forehead, peel it off, then stick it to my build. Then the tape is sticky enough to work, but it is not sticky enough to pull off the 2k clearcoat.

Never had tamiya tape pull off paint or clear sticky or not sticky so I'm not sure what's going on there.  But i always just put the tape across my palm if i need to de-tak it.  I build up 2K clear, and can end up with 4-5 coats, and not have it look like syrup.  The first coat always mist coat where it looks pebbly, and than build it up from there as i never do a heavy wet coat just medium wet coats.  But at the end always check for orange peel, to add little more clear to get rid of the orange peel.  How you see 2K clear at the end after it self levels is how it will cure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

2k clear is like that with any paint. It is a coating and it doesn't bond as well as paint.

If you detack your masking tape so it is not as sticky you can avoid this.  I have a funny trick. I stick the tape to my forehead, peel it off, then stick it to my build. Then the tape is sticky enough to work, but it is not sticky enough to pull off the 2k clearcoat.

Uh no, its not like that with any paint,  Ive never had that happened with the other paints that I use( I use 2 stage auto paint), the only times Ive ever pulled up the 2k clear is when it was over Tamyia TS sprays,  both times it was well past the cure window so it should not of happened, and when 2k clear is cured, Tamiya masking should not be pulling it up.  I don't need to de-tact Tamiya masking tape because its never pulled up 2k clear when I use it over other paints.   I was just sharing my experience , carry on

Edited by martinfan5

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

Never had tamiya tape pull off paint or clear sticky or not sticky so I'm not sure what's going on there.  But i always just put the tape across my palm if i need to de-tak it.  I build up 2K clear, and can end up with 4-5 coats, and not have it look like syrup.  The first coat always mist coat where it looks pebbly, and than build it up from there as i never do a heavy wet coat just medium wet coats.  But at the end always check for orange peel, to add little more clear to get rid of the orange peel.  How you see 2K clear at the end after it self levels is how it will cure. 

I have never had Tamiya tape pull up 2k clear either, till the two times I used it over Tamiya TS sprays, then it happened , thats what I was talking about, it HAS NEVER pulled up the 2k clear when used over other paints like Scalefinishes 2 stage paint.

32 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Uh no, its not like that with any paint,  Ive never had that happened with the other paints that I use( I use 2 stage auto paint), the only times Ive ever pulled up the 2k clear is when it was over Tamyia TS sprays,  both times it was well past the cure window so it should not of happened, and when 2k clear is cured, Tamiya masking should not be pulling it up.  I don't need to de-tact Tamiya masking tape because its never pulled up 2k clear when I use it over other paints.   I was just sharing my experience , carry on

Uh, yes. It IS like that with other paints. I have accidentally pulled it off of several different paints. This problem is not unique to Tamiya paints.

1 minute ago, ctruss53 said:

Uh, yes. It IS like that with other paints. I have accidentally pulled it off of several different paints. This problem is not unique to Tamiya paints.

Uh no, its not like that with other paints, Ive never pulled up 2k clear over the other paints that I have used.  Its only ever been a Tamiya TS issue for me.

2 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Uh no, its not like that with other paints, Ive never pulled up 2k clear over the other paints that I have used.  Its only ever been a Tamiya TS issue for me.

Ok.

I have pulled Splash 2k clear off of Splash paints, Tamiya paints X series, and TS series, Mission Paints, and Mr Hobby primers.

Edited by ctruss53

I've never used Tamiya's paint TS or LP or XF on car bodies only on small parts or interior parts so i have no experience with 2K over Tamiya paint.  Only use 2K over auto paints i.e Zero Paints, Gravity Colors, Scalefinishes, MCW. I think OP probably giving up on this post by now lol.