Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Impala....making the best...

customline

• 2 weeks later...

This is the final on this one. It turned out better than I was anticipating. It's the paint. It's always the paint. As I write this, Amazon is breathlessly rushing my new IWATA ECLIPSE to me and they tell ne it will be arriving on Monday. I hope I can get two more bodies painted before it gets cold here in southeastern Virginia. My two door Dodge Magnum and my '58 Belvedere downgrade to a Savoy are ready to shoot (and have been for months now). Gotta get 'em done.  BTW,  the next time I do a rear antenna, remind me to run the '39 Ford tail light across the sanding block a few times to flatten out the bottom.. and a big thanks to Mr. G for the info on the hypodermic tubing.. Thanks for hanging!

IMG_5019.jpg.8345afa33ec9e40dcfa04ece3b2ca787.jpgIMG_5016.jpg.fc4d974cb3f7e5811fe585b30feb002b.jpgIMG_5018.jpg.acd00cb5a286e25f479e25d2a948bc36.jpgIMG_5020.jpg.49c3cf5f361178ab98a65f60a56dd812.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Slotto said:

She looks great Jim. Sometimes I will flock the package tray

Thanks, friend...I learned my lesson with flock, Steve. I rushed the final on this and I think it would look better black, like the dash.  Too late now.  Trying to make room in my workspace and other stuff around here making me crazy. Might be a little A.D.D., I dunno.

Edited by customline

On 5/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, customline said:

OK, I did it. I made bullets. With my Micro. On low. 😧. Problem is the clear red sprue stock is not really round. But it fit in the Micro and I was off and running. I'm happy with 'em and that's all I'm saying. 🥴.

I also drilled the lights out. I'm commited. Done deal. Wish me luck.

IMG_4005.jpg.a558a607551badc85e629ab8a4ca8ef5.jpgIMG_4008.jpg.c6b31fe626ff19d464a66163b5f14f16.jpgIMG_4007.thumb.jpg.17e8e975397b4d63757baea59355aad9.jpg

Want to add a really cool little vintage touch? Pick up a package of multi color sew on sequins at the local craft store and if you look closely in the bottom of the little bag you'll find a bunch of the little dots that are from the centers of the sequins where they punched the hole in them. Just pick out the blue ones and file a tiny flat spot on the ends of those cool bullets you turned and touch it with a straight pin point with a super tiny bit of epoxy, or clear enamel and drop on that little piece of the sequin and voila! Instant (well almost) blue dot tail lights.

On 5/20/2023 at 6:19 PM, customline said:

Yup, that's what I did. The material (clear red sprue) that I had to work with was not consistently shaped (round) and I had a bad time making a .....anyway, I will be looking for more sprue to work with because I don't like the ones I made. Gotta go through my kits. Thanks for your thoughts, Joe.

Try epoxying the sprue into a couple of aluminum tubing pieces so they will spin truer in the drill chuck and use the tubing to start the trueing process and the tubing you're gonna just hack off anyway when you get done. Or you can pick up some round transparent rods and dip the finished light into the transparent red and some clear if you can't find red, but clear and the fluorescent colors like orange and red can be tinted with transparent red easier than the clear even.

On 7/9/2023 at 7:04 AM, atomicholiday said:

That’s what I’m talking about!😁

I’m normally not into the primer look, but something about this one just grabs my attention.  I’m digging it.👍

If you want a fairly easy almost goof proof candy use a metallic that is really close to the color you want and then top coat it with the transparent/candy of choice, you can even mix bases and top coat colors to get some really nice looking different colors, personally I used a "Metal Flecks" blue for a base and their purple anodizing color for the top coat before clear and came out with a deep purple that looks like it was shot over a metalflake base. As a tip if you use the Metal Flecks or the Anodizing paints swap out the spray nozzle for one from a Tamiya or Testors that uses one that will fit the can right, the other paints are putting out waaay to much material at a ridiculously high pressure.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Great looking paint color. Like the "smooth" look without the body trim. 

Thanks, Dave, it's the only way to get a decent polish-out. It's a street custom after all. I figure it's a given that this sort of 1:1 would have solenoid door latches and shaving the big badges is common. The color would also be normal for a street custom too. I had to leave the side trim because it's integral to the whole design.

I'm planning a few totally stock builds and the paint will necessarily suffer around the handles and such but that's just the way it is. I'm going to try a few "box stock" builds according to local contest rules for a gig next year.....maybe. I attended one this morning and came away with two kits I've been chasing for years; the Tasca T-Bolt ($20) and the Revell '48 Ford coupe ($15)....I'm a happy camper. Prices on ebay for these two are prohibitive when the shipping is added. I did not see one Revell chopped '49 Merc kit but I got there a half hour late. 💩   But what I did see was a whole bunch of kits that Ollie's has been selling 😄.  I didn't stay for all the contest stuff because my back gave up on me. I wish I could have, there were lots of quality builds on the tables. Sorry, didn't mean to run on......

• Like 1