Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear Over Polished Gold Metallic

Paint steps I have take so far in building Allison NASCAR 1971 Charger with red and gold paint scheme. I am only asking this question in regards to portion with gold paint scheme.

Tamiya white primer

Tamiya gloss black

Krylon gold leaf metallic

I have polished paint using Novus 1,2 and 3.

After I apply decals, can I shoot satin clear over the gold paint?

There seems to be some conflicting opinions about advisability of doing this.

I am happy with finish but would like to seal decals and possibly slightly darken gold with satin clear.

thanks in advance

Mmmm, I don't know.

Sounds like quite a mish-mash of different material brands, but if you're not experiencing any difficulties thus far, maybe you'll be okay.

You're only problem is likely to be one of two things.

First, as you have already polished the paint, there's probably going to be some vestige of silicates left on the surface.

You never want to paint over anything that has wax or a polish containing silicates in it.

The clear will fish eye on you like crazy.

You can try giving it a good cleaning in hot water and  dish washing detergent to remove them, or maybe someone else has another suggestion for that.

I would recommend cleaning with alcohol, but I have no idea what it will do to the particular paint you're using.

Second issue is of course would be the type of clear you're using.

Be darn sure that it's compatible, not only with the decals, but with the paint underneath it.

In these "experimental" circumstances, especially with paint, give yourself about a 50% chance of success.

But I have faith in you. :)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Novus products definitely contain silicates, you'll get terrible fisheyes in the clear if you attempt to paint over it.   I stopped using Novus products after I ruined a perfectly good paint job that way.   I would just enjoy it as is unless you want to strip it and start over.  Anything strong enough to remove the silicone will probably damage your decals and or paint job. 

I switched to Silicone free, Bodyshop safe polishes after that mistake.  

-Steve