Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin wheel hubs?

Hey fellas, I 3D print alot of wheels and tires for my kits. One issue I always have is the mounting of the printed wheel/tire to the kit itself. Alot of wheels don't have any kind of hub to mate the wheel to the axle. Can any of you point me in the right direction? I can probably make something in Tinkercad if I have the correct dimensions of the axle. Thanks.

That sounds useful, but it seems that American and European kit manufacturers use different method for every kit. The only semi-standard wheel mount are used by most Japanese manufacturers (Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, etc.) they use standard post on the inner side of the wheels, and a poly-cap where the wheel plugs into on the brake assy.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, chadrob30 said:

Hey fellas, I 3D print alot of wheels and tires for my kits. One issue I always have is the mounting of the printed wheel/tire to the kit itself. Alot of wheels don't have any kind of hub to mate the wheel to the axle. Can any of you point me in the right direction? I can probably make something in Tinkercad if I have the correct dimensions of the axle. Thanks.

I have designed my wheels to have a nub so you can use a 2 mm rod that is what the Japanese kits use and with a little bit of work you can make it work with Revell or AMT

• Like 1

I could've sworn I answered this question before.
Anyway, since you're versed on Tinkercad you can create adapters. I have in the past and used Meshmixer or Blender to add them to the drawings for the wheels. Its not difficult. Or you can print them and then glue them in. I've done both.
In the pics below the original is on the left and the altered is on the right to fit the Revell Porsche 918.
I printed adapters to fit Maisto diecast wheels onto the Revell 71 Cuda.
If you need more info just PM me.

918 Wheel Axle Orig.jpg

918 Wheel Axle Final.jpg

Edited by MeatMan
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 10:34 AM, MeatMan said:

I could've sworn I answered this question before.
Anyway, since you're versed on Tinkercad you can create adapters. I have in the past and used Meshmixer or Blender to add them to the drawings for the wheels. Its not difficult. Or you can print them and then glue them in. I've done both.
In the pics below the original is on the left and the altered is on the right to fit the Revell Porsche 918.
I printed adapters to fit Maisto diecast wheels onto the Revell 71 Cuda.
If you need more info just PM me.

918 Wheel Axle Orig.jpg

918 Wheel Axle Final.jpg

Same can be done in Fusion 360

• Like 1