Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo Giulia Spyder

simonr

This time I will continue my Late 50's-early 60's sport convertibles car series. And for my some of pals here in Puerto Rico that makes a joke on this...yes..it will be painted in red like all the others in this series...jajaja. Besides,..it's almost like a ferrari, what another color could be use in an Alfa Romeo? This a good example of this classic which opened the doors for the classic Giulietta racers series. Although it's named "Giulietta", looking for some reference info and pictures, I found that the model Revell of Germany intended to make was the 1965 "Giulia" and not the late 50's "Giulietta". Anyway, the model looks to be a sharp one, free of exesive flash, a great chrome tree(when I removed the parts by were they were hang, they are connected by a perfect spot that only need a tiny dab of pay to cover the spot), all the doors can be opened(a great feature, considering I will do a box stock model and there's no room for any alterations), a crisp Cartograf decal sheet, and the fact that the model can be done with less of 100 parts covering all the feautured components of this classic car.

First of all I started to paint the engine, chassis, and suspention components that will be in the different shades of black(gloss, semi-gloss, and flat). Again for the glossy parts I trusted on the Gunze Sangyo Lacquer Black, that gives me a perfect thinn and in scale finish of black. The parts were organized since their shades. After all the blacks were painted, I followed with the aluminums, and silvers.

DSC_1685.jpg

Some challenging masking was needed in order to get the correct color in some parts. This masking is intended for some spots that will be painted later in red. That's a main problem with "just a few parts" kits.

DSC_1684.jpg

DSC_1702.jpg

DSC_1704.jpg

Here I already mounted all the painted parts to the unpainted body to check how it will look and to make any needed adjusment to side doors, trunk, and hood.

DSC_1696.jpg

DSC_1697.jpg

DSC_1698.jpg

DSC_1699.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Red? Nahhh :P

Not that we make any jokes. It is just that nobody else can paint a car in red because he has the exclusive rights to the color :(

I tried once and I spent months getting all the approvals and permits :lol:

Just kidding...

Nice project!

Thanks,

Now some color!...among the different shades of reds I have at home, there were a few ones that could be used, but, there were more than I though, so, the task wasn't a piece of cake thinking also that I had used some variations of them(in case of the FINISHERS) in the other cabrios of this series. I chosed the Modeler's Bright Red(actually is a light deep red shade) for different reasons. One of them is the fame of being a great model car paint in Japan(they just made paint for model cars). Another one, although I bought this stuff like 4 years ago, I hadn't give this a try. You guys can see on the back of this first picture the thermometer reading 82!, sorry you guys up there in the north! :(

DSC_1726.jpg

The winning red!

DSC_1728.jpg

Some Gunze MR. Surfacer 1000 gray primer, followed with Gunze MR. White Base in order to bright out the base coat a little bit.

DSC_1705.jpg

DSC_1709.jpg

I pre-shaded the body sections that will be covered when I put together all the doors in order to get a uniform red paint coat.

DSC_1710.jpg

DSC_1711.jpg

DSC_1713.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Hey Ismael, you're the guy..."MR. Anti-Red" :(

Thanks for you kind comments...as you can see, I'm back....from Argentina...jajaja :lol:

I hope to see you real soon to see all these projects from the last year in person...and maybe some food, as always...jajaja!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Red? Nahhh :blink:

Not that we make any jokes. It is just that nobody else can paint a car in red because he has the exclusive rights to the color :P

I tried once and I spent months getting all the approvals and permits :blink:

Just kidding...

Nice project!

Thanks,

I will love to, but, remember it will be a box stock contestant, where they are very serious on this, besides the instruction sheet has to be on the table.

Thanks for you comment!

Simón Rivera Torres

sweet!

are you going to lower it significantly?

Buenos Dias Simon.

Looks as though you are doing very nice work as usual.

Here is the Giulia version I would build of this kit:

After_withbar_02.jpg

It's not my car, I built the roll bar for it.

After_withbar_04.jpg

A couple of suggestions based on personal observation of the full scale car:

Como recuerdo, the access plate on the bottom of the bell housing es hecho de acero estampado, no vaciado de aluminio. Es pintado negro, and attached to the aluminum casting of the bell housing with the bolts which show on the model.

Y todas las piezas vaciadas de aluminio, no son tan brillantes.

These suggestion are very minor details, but maybe they can help you to succeed with your competition with this model.

The following is for information to those who would also prefer to build this as a racer. Being a race car, the one in the photos has a fuel cell with fabricated suppports, and much wider tires. But the body, other than the holes for the rear braces, removal of the bumpers, aluminum headlight replacements, hood pins and the replacement of the windshield with a small plexi-glass screen, is quite stock. If the roll bar seems very tall in these pictures, it's because the owner is very tall. The roll bar had not yet been painted black and the head restraint pads and fiberglass seats were out getting upholstered. The class designation "F/MP" is for a vintage racing organization. Original SCCA would be "F/P" or "F/Prod". The exhaust without a muffler would exit just ahead of the rear wheel.

Oh, and for those not familiar with Spanish:

As I recall, the access plate on the bottom of the bell housing is made of stamped steel, not cast aluminum. It is painted black, and attached to the aluminum casting of the bell housing with the bolts which show on the model.

And all of the cast aluminum pieces are not so brilliant.

Hey Richard, nice pictures, indeed! Is this a model or a real car? I have a good amount of reference pictures of this car, but, I hadn't found a racer ALFA Giulietta like this one. Thanks a lot my friend.

Tremendas fotos, gracias un monton.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Not much more it's been added today to this build up, but, here I'm showing how the model being after the red coat of paint was added. Although I have to confess that I wasn't too sure about the performance of this Modeler's paint, since I did a try with a spoon and I didn't like the way it look after. I guess it was due to the fact that I used a Modeler's product I have that is labeled "Thinner retarder". From what the people of Rainbow Ten in Japan told me, this is not Thinner + Retarder, it should be labeled as simply "Retarder". Please, if someone here has more information on this I would like to be sure exactly what is this for. To resolve what I saw in the spoon and to make sure I could use this in the model, I thinned the paint first with of my model cars favorite thinners, Finisher's auto paint thinner. To this, I did a mix with this Finisher's thinner plus the Modeler's Thinner Retarder and a few drops of Gunze Sangyo Mild Retarder to about 10% of the general paint-thinner mix. This gave me one the most impressive paint flows I had experimented until now. Let's see how it performed...

Here we can see how uniform this coat of paint looks with almost not orange peel.

DSC_1682.jpg

Every rail and detail it's being shown under the paint.

DSC_1683.jpg

DSC_1684-1.jpg

DSC_1685-1.jpg

Ahh!!!... the magic of the lacquer!!! :rolleyes:

DSC_1686.jpg

This one remind us the look of the front on the original Batmobile of the 30' or the 40's.

DSC_1687-1.jpg

As can be seen here, almost no orange peel.

DSC_1688-1.jpg

A look under the direct sun light just to make sure.

DSC_1689.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

A close up that shows how everything matched after I removed all the panels with the first paint shoot in the parts that were covered in order to achieve a uniform color coat.

DSC_1691-1.jpg

Panels off!!!

DSC_1692-1.jpg

DSC_1693-1.jpg

DSC_1694-1.jpg

DSC_1695.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Again, there's not much, but, here some pics of the finished bodywork. It has been one the best finish I've got on a model after I airbrushed the paint, but, some problems with some old black paint inside the airbrush(or maybe in the paint), caused a delay in order to apply the clear coat.

The a real nice mix of the paint-retarder gave me a so nice and even surface that I just saded it with the 4000 polishing pad. Since I was painting this with my magnifier visor, I noticed some tiny black spots that when I tried to remeved beliving it was some debris on the surface, it resulted to be somethin like the remeins of black paint and it was spreaded a little bit. Because of this I was painting and checking continouslly the surface with the visor. I could afford to paint and sand some spots with just 3 minutes waiting time!!!..obviouslly using my dehydrator. Here's how it being.

DSC_1698-1.jpg

DSC_1699-1.jpg

DSC_1700.jpg

DSC_1706.jpg

DSC_1708.jpg

Like I said before,"Ah, the magic of lacquer", because it didn't covered any detail on this model.

DSC_1709-1.jpg

DSC_1711-1.jpg

DSC_1714.jpg

DSC_1715.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

The clear coat was also applied with the same ease than the color coat. I used the Modeler's Super Clear with Finisher's Auto Clear, mixed with Modeler's Retarder thinner and some Gunze Sangyo Mr. Retarder Mild. Since I'm still with the doubt of what is that Retarder thinner for, I decied to add also the one from Gunze. The combo of all this clear, thinner, and retarder mix with the dehydrator again was suberb. It gave me a real glossy and even surface like I bever had experienced with any Lacquer clear ever. Here you guys will se the results...

DSC_1716-1.jpg

DSC_1720.jpg

DSC_1722-1.jpg

DSC_1723-1.jpg

As it can be seen here...almost no orange peel!

DSC_1724-1.jpg

Test fit with the cleared parts without any sanding or polishing yet.

DSC_1729.jpg

DSC_1730.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

As it can be seen here...almost no orange peel!

DSC_1724-1.jpg

Test fit with the cleared parts without any sanding or polishing yet.

DSC_1729.jpg

DSC_1730.jpg

to be continued....

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Thanks a lot Jeff for you comment. The model was polished last night in a long 3 intense hours period. It was real easy to polish, due to the perfect level on the clear coat, but, it was a long one, first because of the big amount of red parts to polish, and secondly, because of the large amount of the details the body has. This morning I started with the bare-metal detailing, and it will be followed tonight with the decals and some additonal painting in some parts already in red.

Like you guys can see, it's a box stock, but, it feels like a high detailed model, due to the amount of detail I have to pick in order to have the most corrected period Alfa.

Simón P. Rivera Torred

What a beautiful car ! I did not know that kit came with an engine...that's a nice bonus, and you are kiliing me with that beautiful red paint job !

After spend a couple of nights in the elbow grease deparment, it's time to start to put things together. I will start from the front to the rear, passing through the cockpit.

Here a couple of shots of the beatutiful chroming on this model.

DSC_1785.jpg

DSC_1786.jpg

DSC_1787.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

This is a technique I haven't used yet in my years as a modeler, but, here I didn't have a better option here for the place of the part to be painted. I have to paint in grey this plastic bag, so, I placed bare metal foil all over in a combo with some Tamiya tape. In order to replicate the shadows and a little bit of semi gloss shine I rubbed it with little bit of oil from my forehead.

DSC_1769.jpg

Here,a couple of pictures of the completed engine where it can be seen how being the masked section.

DSC_1788.jpg

DSC_1789.jpg

The engine from the rear.

DSC_1821.jpg

The cockpit received all the decaling, painting and bare metal detailing.

DSC_1803.jpg

DSC_1806.jpg

DSC_1809.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

• 3 weeks later...

In order to "close" the car I have to finish the doors.

Here are a couple of shoots of the doors process. I add some bare metal to the looks at the sides of the doors and the body doors frame. Also to the glass frame. I would like to cut the clear plastic to show it with the glass down, but, since it will at a contes where it has to be a "pure" box stock, I had no other choice. After all, I like how it see with the whole glass. The inner panel was detailed with some chorme paint. I think the detail it's not bad for being a box stock model.

DSC_1887.jpg

DSC_1890.jpg

DSC_1896.jpg

How they looks in the model?

DSC_1901.jpg

DSC_1903.jpg

DSC_1999.jpg

DSC_2007.jpg

to be continued...

Simón P. Rivera Torres