Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Suspension Help...Continued

• Calb56 changed the title to Atlantis Suspension Help...Continued

"Suicide style" still uses a leaf spring; there's no setup I'm aware of where a rigid attachment to the frame is used for a front axle, even on a drag racing chassis.  With the "suicide" setup, instead of the leaf spring attaching to a full-width crossmember, it instead attaches to a narrow perch that is itself attached to the front of a crossmember.  It looks more fragile, as if the perch has the potential to break off and let the front of the chassis drop to the ground...hence, "suicide style". 

5 hours ago, Calb56 said:

So, does the tubular straight axle connect directly to the frame, suicide style or do you add the springs and the spring mounting blocks and connect it "stock" style?

C1132speedequipment__41309-2.jpg.4d96db7c75ee28f47e54b825d11da5ac.jpg

If I remember correctly, the tubular axle will mount to one of the leaf springs directly (probably the low one), you don't need to use the spring mounting blocks (they work with the dropped front axle).

5 hours ago, Calb56 said:

So, does the tubular straight axle connect directly to the frame, suicide style or do you add the springs and the spring mounting blocks and connect it "stock" style?

As mentioned, "suicide style" uses a particular type of front spring perch, fabbed and welded to the front crossmember.

As some fellas welding was a little on the sketchy side, the highly loaded weld joint at the crossmember is prone to failure if not done correctly.

I particularly like the ride height options this style of axle mounting allows, and use the design frequently on models.

DSCN9309.webp.803bb2d51ffdcfc286d5941757d8a386.webp

DSCN4220.webp.9bbb5686fd92152163839c6837738937.webp

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

As mentioned, "suicide style" uses a particular type of front spring perch, fabbed and welded to the front crossmember.

As some fellas welding was a little on the sketchy side, the highly loaded weld joint at the crossmember is prone to failure if not done correctly.

I particularly like the ride height options this style of axle mounting allows, and use the design frequently on models.

DSCN9309.webp.803bb2d51ffdcfc286d5941757d8a386.webp

DSCN4220.webp.9bbb5686fd92152163839c6837738937.webp

That's what I'm used to and I like the look...though the mechanics are definitely dubious. That's the problem with internet research, you cant always see exactly what you want to see. Why i appreciate the knowledge available here.

5416237472_d7557184f9_b.jpg.a85efe83c19b9f1122f59f5bc92af588.jpg

49 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

That's what I'm used to and I like the look...though the mechanics are definitely dubious. That's the problem with internet research, you cant always see exactly what you want to see. Why i appreciate the knowledge available here.

That particular car is an unusual take on the "suicide" design.

The cross-spring is behind the radiator, shackled to the ends of very long radius rods that are cantilevered way out in front of the shackles to carry the axle.

If those radius rods aren't engineered right, it is as much a recipe for disaster as anything I've ever seen.

If they are strong enough to do the job, fine, but there still might very well be some odd suspension dynamics if the car is driven hard, or fast.

Sure looks good sitting still though.   :D

DSC_0541.JPG.85aca16d95c8044124d8683a1edac05e.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy