Model Cars Magazine Forum

I started this kit in September 2009, but I had some interruptions and shelved it for a while.  The original thread is still here but the photo host is gone and so are the photos.  I cannot edit the thread here to replace the photos and it doesn’t make much sense to continue without the photos leading up to what will come next. 

The kit is being built straight out of the box; the only addition will be decals, mostly in the form of composite patterns.

The headers were cleaned up and painted, including shading, as individual pieces, then assembled and the seams addressed and blended. Tamiya lacquers (base color) and acrylics (shading/staining) were used.

E5ThchH.jpg

4Ay2NPv.jpg

The airbox is mostly covered with C/F decals. Some additional shading was done with Tamiya Smoke.

AEtKXbL.jpg

The transmission color was mixed per the instructions with acrylics. However, the engine block was shot with a very dark gray instead of black. It will be "adjusted" as the build progresses.

vjKuU0z.jpg

18 minutes ago, absmiami said:

2009 ?  You were just a pup - those look like Tamiya headers - was this shelved when you started dis-membering Super Sevens ??

C'mon... Keep up Andy.  By 2009 I had already earned a TamiyaCon trip to Japan, IPMS Judges Grand Best of Show and two GSL Best of Shows with my Super Sevens.  

The front wing end plates are finished.  The C/F is ScaleMotorSports Hi-Def decal.  I planned to use only Tamiya paints for the body exterior.  (TS-26 for the White.)  Unfortunately even though I “snuck up” with very light coats of clear (TS-13) over the decals, when the third coat was drying, the Goodyear decals cracked up.  They fractured several hours after the application of the clear.

I created a new set of Goodyear decals and had better luck with the clear.

The wing adjustment holes were drilled out, but otherwise these parts are just the way they come in the kit.

iVweKI3.jpg

DReJiho.jpg

zKZw6Jf.jpg

• Like 1

The radiators and ducts are done.  I made the decals for the Calsonic lettering, (had a problem with the ones in the kit cracking), a little wash brought out the depth, and the bright silver plumbing was brush painted using a Tamiya Mini 4WD paint pen's paint mixed with mineral spirts.  Not as bright as sprayed Alclad or Alsa chrome paint maybe, but certainly bright and very easy to work with.  And yes, it does dry fully in a few hours.

mKJosoh.jpg

3ls3XZz.jpg

The trans/rear suspension/engine assembly is growing too.  C/F decals were used for the shock arms; fronts were done at the same time as the rears for continuity.

6lVfy2R.jpg

8f3iqZj.jpg

• Like 2

The basic chassis pan is pretty much done.  I opted to go with paint instead of decals... 

sIWB3h9.jpg

I used the Tamiya kit provided foil for the internal heat shield. 

BtIjMCh.jpg

I also painted most of the cockpit exterior, but will accent it with some C/F decals.  Seat is ready for the harnesses...

UiOkqe8.jpg

You might to refer to the first post in the thread Rich, I'm not moving as fast as it may look.  And thanks!   I would encourage you to dig it out and build it, it is a nice kit; just be cautious with the decals if it is the first issue like mine.

The rear suspension/transmission is pretty much done...

a8bvErd.jpg

i8OD1TB.jpg

FiCNNVK.jpg

Just a reminder, this project is 14 years old.   The painting of the body started in 2010.  These posts are a recap of that time frame.

Finally the body has the paint on it.  Tamiya Pure White and Fluorescent Red.  The nose has the decals and final clear coat on it...

EFFiHNK.jpg

qzOe610.jpg

The lettering on the wings cracked several months after being clear coated with the Tamiya clear, so I hand painted the lettering and re-cleared with urethane.  This picture is before clear coating.

qNADJlT.jpg

• Like 2