Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting a International Paystar 5000 to a first gen 5600

45 minutes ago, DZ7581 said:

Looks good. I have the same kit and hood, so it's nice to see what it will look like.

The hood is going to take some work, not a bad fit but doesn’t line up well in the width to the body, but it is a well detailed part. Crisp lines and details. 

Tried a fixture to help locate the air lift axle. Drilled the axle spacing in 1/4 x 3/4 flat stock, drilled the holes fairly snug so I could locate the lift axle in the correct orientation. I drilled and pinned the front arms so the axle can move up and down , this should assure all wheels touch down equally. Sure made things easier. 485A9CFB-BE26-49FD-A66A-D85B2B196E52.jpeg.578d12ddf2a057b7668d1e34352f352d.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Beautiful work! The jigs look like they'd be very useful 

I noticed your working w knee walls too for your workspace ! I live in a cape cod house, the entire upstairs is like that. Makes hanging shelves for builds an issue

Thanks, and yes the jig is very handy to align the brackets.

Yes, it has its limitations, our house is a log chalet style. This room is above my garage that I finished into a hobby room and yes, I can’t have shelves on the wall and the end walls have large windows. I plan on building shelf space against the hand railing to display my builds. 

One fender took me an hour, only 5 more to go. I had to square and flatten the bottoms of the fenders, remove all the flash from the fender brackets and frame brackets, take the sharp edge of the aluminum rods and the backs on the small parts. Marked which holes I will use in the fixture so I can repeat the process 12 times. I pencil marked where glue needs to be applied, using super glue. 322FD58A-413F-45E6-A743-76C6D5D2642C.jpeg.fce79e0cabf2778bdfd6cd5642f6e5bc.jpegThe spacing fixtures work well after you flatten the bottoms and remove flash from the tops. After glueing frame brackets I drilled a .062 hole thru the frame to better support the aluminum rods as the holes in the frame brackets are a little oversized and the fender drops down. Now the rods have a longer contact to the frame. CE704C4B-4D43-4012-9700-6A062F48515C.jpeg.5cc3556c9cbd411709c3af1931f9a998.jpeg
my big fat fingers and old eyes are the biggest challenges. 

• 3 weeks later...