Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to make primer look like primer?

Actually have two questions. The first is do how do I questions belong in tips and tricks? I am of the opinion that is for showing how, not asking how. If I'm wrong then I guess I posted in the wrong place. Just thought I'd ask for future reference. ;)

Now my actual question, I'm looking for suggestions for doing a weather beaten primered look. Obviously primer is a good place to start, so I'm looking for some weathering tips. What I want is a primer finish that looks old but kept up. Basically a truck that is maintained (so no rust and such) but just primered, as body panels are damaged, replaced, paint is scratched it gets a new shot of primer. Basically your typical well cared for (on the cheap) beater truck.

Just to throw a wrench into things I also plan on having a bunch of decals on it, and I know decals and flat paint don't get along so well. I may need to put on a coat of Future and then dull coat the whole thing.

What I'm planning is a daily driver if you lived in a place with a zombie problem. Obviously driving through crowds of brain eating zombies would be hard on the finish so a wash and wear paint job seems appropriate.

Thanks

I'd suggest starting with your base primer, and adding washes and drybrushing the wear areas to weather it out a bit:

51chevgasser10.jpg

51chevgasser12.jpg

51chevgasser13.jpg

Afterward, I'd add patches of newer primer, some spotted in with no masking, and maybe one larger patch that actually looks like it's been taped out. Drill holes for missing trim, mirrors, etc. and maybe one off-color faded factory painted fender, door or tailgate to complete the patch-as-you-go appearance.

A couple ideas.

First for decals, just use a gloss paint before application followed by flat afterward. That way the decals have a smooth surface to adhere to.

Second, get a couple shades of the same color primer. This would lend itself to different primers being used at different times.

Third if you don't have an air brush, make a mask from cardstock paper and a hole punch and hold it just off the surface of the model to confine the spray pattern to a small area. Effectively this will make it look like a scale spray can was used.

Forth, and you have already started this, create a story line in your head of what work occured in what order. What logical repairs happened and when.

If the hood came from another truck, give it a different color scheme and then paint the fenders with primer like it was repaired before it was mounted.

You are on your own for what damage a zombie will do to the truck. :)