Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 AMT Camaro convertible question

I was able to finally pick up my final '67 AMT annual, or so I'm thinking.  It's a built up with what appears to be most everything I'd need for a stock build (which is what I prefer to build) but my question is about the body.  When I saw pix of it before I bought it I could see the scripting was absent from everywhere on the body.  I assumed it the scripting was removed by the previous owner/builder, but upon receiving it and looking at it I see there was no sanding or filing done to it.  The body is smooth as silk.  My questions is....  did the 67 (or 68) annual AMT Camaro convertible come with no scripting on the body?  Or, what do you think I've got here?  I know the annual AMT Camaro HT had scripting.  I went ahead and bought the MCG 67 Camaro PE detail set to add the scripting so that part is no issue.  

IMG-6319 (Medium).jpg

IMG-6320 (Medium).jpg

IMG-6321 (Medium).jpg

What you have there is the "for 68" Camaro body.  That's the way they came out of the box due to MPC having the promo contract in '68 (a subject that has been covered numerous times).  Basically a '67 kit that isn't accurate for either model year.

1debe61544bf3899cbbda3adfde80966.jpg

Edited by pack rat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

So, it's not the 67 Camaro AMT convertible annual?  It's a 68 even though it has the vent windows like a 67?  From what I can see, it passes for the 67 except for the scripting?  Obviously AMT omitted the scripting for the "for 68" issue?

That is basically what they did; made a few changes to the '67 kit and called it a day.  It's easier to add a few details to build a '67 than to try and attempt a '68.  I did that a few years ago.  Not my best effort, but better than what I started with.   Note the lack of windshield wipers on the "68" too.

DSCN5630.JPG

Edited by pack rat
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Thanks Mike.  So is the hood with the SS script correct for a 67?  Probably not, nor is the lack of wipers.

The SS script isn't correct for either year.  The '67 SS had the grilles you see on my built-up (I tried foil-copying those from a set of valve covers...yes, they're sloppy)

4 minutes ago, pack rat said:

The SS script isn't correct for either year.  The '67 SS had the grilles you see on my built-up (I tried foil-copying those from a set of valve covers...yes, they're sloppy)

So...  I guess I'll have to hunt for the correct hood at a minimum.  The interior seats aren't correct either, but I'm not going to stress over that unless a correct 67 interior drops in my lap 😉.

Thanks again

8 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

So...  I guess I'll have to hunt for the correct hood at a minimum.  The interior seats aren't correct either, but I'm not going to stress over that unless a correct 67 interior drops in my lap 😉.

Thanks again

I've never looked into it, but I wonder if the more recent Revell '67 might have some usable pieces that will fit the old AMT kit.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kelson said:

Still a great score to get one!,i have a few myself and have hunted down parts slowly over the years,i scored a body with a mint windshield that i can cut off and make resin copies to use on a couple 67'firebird promos i have with missing windshields.

Just out of luck I was able to find a correct interior for a 67 already.  So what remains are the stock air cleaner, correct 67 stock wheels (it now has the rally wheels), the soft top (not super important as I'll likely display with no top, and I need to fabricate the front spindles/axles.  The glass is really tight so I'll just tape off really well and leave it in place and polish good after painting.  I've had to do this numerous times on other restores and it works ok.  Especially considering the alternative is breaking the frame.  My 67 PE detail set has shipped from MCG so I'll be anxious to see how the scripting will look.

P.S... I forgot to add I'll need a correct stock 67 hood with the chrome inserts as well 😒

Edited by hedotwo

8 hours ago, hedotwo said:

.  My 67 PE detail set has shipped from MCG so I'll be anxious to see how the scripting will look.

Hope it looks better then the set I got from them.

The main "CAMARO" block letters for the fenders were , well, I guess short shot would be the best way to put it. There's 4 of them and not one was useable and a couple weren't there at all.

I had e-mailed him about it but never heard back.

3 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Hope it looks better then the set I got from them.

The main "CAMARO" block letters for the fenders were , well, I guess short shot would be the best way to put it. There's 4 of them and not one was useable and a couple weren't there at all.

I had e-mailed him about it but never heard back.

Didn't like to read that 😒

I've used a few of their sets over the years and while I wasn't fully happy with everything included, the main emblems I needed were "ok".

Thanks Steve

10 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Didn't like to read that 😒

I've used a few of their sets over the years and while I wasn't fully happy with everything included, the main emblems I needed were "ok".

Thanks Steve

Yea, Would have been nice if he even responded to my e-mail but no go.

I've still bought PE from him though as there's not a lot of alternatives.

I had wanted to build the car from "Better Off Dead".