Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinning Mr. Surfacer 500

I have a jar of Mr Surfacer 500 that is still about 1/4 full, but has thickened up a little. Originally it was consistence of maybe peanut butter, but now it is more like drywall putty. Still can spread it on a surface, but doesn't flow like it did. Can I add a couple of drops of thinner to it without ruining what I have.

There is a Mr Hobby product specifically designed for this purpose: Mr Color Replenishing agent. It is basically the Mr Color thinner with a specific additive that is not present in the thinner (but the smell is absolutely identical to Mr color thinner). I already rejuvenated a lot of my Mr Color bottles with this product, and they are still usable after a few years. I suspect you could use the Mr color thinner as well for this Mr Surfacer.

Here is a picture of the Mr Color Replenishing Agent, on the left. It contains the binding agents that Mr Color Leveling Thinner doesn't have. I too have brought many bottles of Mr Color paints back from the dead using this product. I'm sure that it will work equally well for Mr Surfacer as well.

20234-10-16 Mr Hobby.jpg

5 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Here is a picture of the Mr Color Replenishing Agent, on the left. It contains the binding agents that Mr Color Leveling Thinner doesn't have. I too have brought many bottles of Mr Color paints back from the dead using this product. I'm sure that it will work equally well for Mr Surfacer as well.

20234-10-16 Mr Hobby.jpg

I have the Mr Color Replenishing Agent too, and it works good with Tamiya as well. 

• Like 1

I used lacquer thinner to thin it down for airbrushing years ago. Hardware store lacquer thinner, not special thinner marketed for models. Nothing to lose by trying it. Also nothing to lose by throwing it away. IMHO, risking a project to save three bucks of worth of Mr Surfacer is false economy.