Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 Pierce Ascendent Tower

33 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

"I've been sidetracked by another project but should get back to this one soon."

I resemble that  remark, LOL!  Great progress, everything in alignment despite all the chrome trim and surface chrome bits. you have a good eye (or a strong magnifier!)

Dare I say this was the easy part? Wondering how much of the ladder truck you'll be using for the body

Edited by hct728(Bob)

12 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Not a bit of it, Bob.  The tower has a 5 section ladder with the basket on the end.  Mid mount to boot.  Body is basically one of a kind so all will be scratch built as well.

Amazing to take that on! Looking back at the 1:1 I see what you mean, it is a monster! I noticed lots of surface variation, not all is flat like on most kits. Did you see my post on piano hinges, after some digging at the website I see that they have some very small sizes available, see the photo

MW_0001.jpg

8 hours ago, lvfd221 said:

How do you make the corners? Do you start with tubing and cut to 1/4 round or have a place that you get 1/4 round stock.

Thanks 

Rex

If you are talking about the cab corners, it is PVC water pipe.  I sliced it lengthwise to get a section for each corner.  The radius is based on the radius measured on the drawings of the truck and reduced down to 1/25 scale for size.

5 hours ago, lvfd221 said:

Thank you for the info. I have a project that needs corners that looks like the cab corners. 

$10-$20 for a heat gun and you can bend styrene into any shape you want. For corners, I heat and bend it over the rounded edge of a piece of scrap wood. You need to stretch it a bit to make it conform. More heat and you can 'heat and smash' over a wooden buck or even vacuform it. 

Edited by hct728(Bob)

• 1 month later...