Model Cars Magazine Forum

Montana Gold Chrome Paint

I purchased this paint a few months back after seeing some chrome grafitti that was chrome. It comes in a large can and is much much cheaper than molotowe or revell.

DSC09006.thumb.JPG.73551d731d2ec54ebda49e41aec342a4.JPG

For the test I am using 3 printed parts for a front mounted blown flathead which is going in the delahaye along with the coyote gearbox. The parts on the engine were primed with duplicolour filler primer, then i used montana gloss black and 2 hours later i hit it with the chrome paint. The parts laying loose beside the engine were done the same way but have been brushed with coat of tamiya light smoke. And finally we get to what someone is bound to ask, can it be cleared? well I havent tried any of my mild clears yet but i did do the exhaust manifold with duplicolour clear. I should point out i did the primer on friday, the black and chrome yesterday and the clear and smoke today. I have also handled the engine the usual amount while assembling it and the chrome effect seems to hold up decently. I'm not sure how long the cans will last as they seem to be very low pressure and the best chrome effect is achieved with one very light mist coat followed almost immediatelly with a heavy coat. I haven't tried decanting it to airbrush because that would mean leaning to operate and clean it, but i do intend to, lol. I paid £7 a can. It also comes in gold which looks good too. It is a grafitti paint

DSC09005.thumb.JPG.bb1153e65e5643a9b13adb7a2b546fe7.JPGDSC09007.thumb.JPG.7890fd26a1919c856cd24a0b52d1763a.JPGDSC09008.thumb.JPG.3e7f457feac95fbbbbe657971644744f.JPG

On 11/6/2023 at 3:38 AM, stitchdup said:

yeah but this one is the same price as one molotowe pen and it can be handled. Its not like we leave our models out in the weather so nonoe of that should matter to us.

No, but these warnings tell me that the paint is fragile.  Sure, if you put the model in a sealed case, it is ok, but some of us (me) want the "chrome" to be more robust.  Not saying that you shouldn't use it - I wouldn't use it.

I don't use Molotow chrome on any surfaces I know will be handled.  Are you saying that this paint is just as "chromey" as Molotow chrome (or Revell Chrome , or Alclad II Chrome) and more wear resistant?  In the photos you posted, it just looks more like aluminum (not like mirror-like chrome surface).